The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 10:50 PM

Canuck2fan is on a distinguished road
Default Experiences with a Pflueger Trion series rod

I am just getting into fly fishing and am really torn between a St. Croix premier 9ft 6wt rod and a Pflueger Trion 9ft 6wt. Everyone around here likes the name St. Croix but are not familiar with the Trions... Any insights would be appreciated.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I'd have to go with the St. Croix

Old 07-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: Experiences with a Pflueger Trion series rod

Pflueger makes a good rod. They have been around a long time and are decent. They do not though put the technology and time into them that St. Croix does and do not carry the warranty. The Pflueger will be a perfectly servicable rod that will catch fish just fine but they really are not in the league with Croix.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

Recommend the St. Croix ... The name Pflueger has been around forever, but not the company. The name has been sold several times...

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 07-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. The price of the St. Croix is double the price of the Pflueger which I am fine with as it does include a carrying case (although the store says it is just el cheapo plastic and not really suitable for anything but keeping the rod in a closet) and it definitely has the better warranty.

The one thing I am not too happy about is the only St. Croix available to me locally is the 4 piece model. Which I don't see as a plus like some would. I am a great believer in the old adage the more pieces the less sensitive the rod. Now, If I was planning on backpacking it might interest me but my sleeping on the ground out in the bush days are long past.... So in short 4 pieces in my mind equals only 2 more pieces to have problems with by breaking them or even worse losing one of them LOL.

I guess I will have to seriously think about risking ordering something I haven't actually held in my hands online to get what I want. The sad part is that will end up costing me about 25% more than buying locally for either the Pflueger or the 2 piece St. Croix.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:01 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck2fan
Thanks for the replies. The price of the St. Croix is double the price of the Pflueger which I am fine with as it does include a carrying case (although the store says it is just el cheapo plastic and not really suitable for anything but keeping the rod in a closet) and it definitely has the better warranty.The one thing I am not too happy about is the only St. Croix available to me locally is the 4 piece model. Which I don't see as a plus like some would. I am a great believer in the old adage the more pieces the less sensitive the rod. Now, If I was planning on backpacking it might interest me but my sleeping on the ground out in the bush days are long past.... So in short 4 pieces in my mind equals only 2 more pieces to have problems with by breaking them or even worse losing one of them LOL.I guess I will have to seriously think about risking ordering something I haven't actually held in my hands online to get what I want. The sad part is that will end up costing me about 25% more than buying locally for either the Pflueger or the 2 piece St. Croix.
if you are worried about buying online talk to steve at THE FULL CREEL. i'm pretty sure he will make you more than happy with your purchase. i just bought a outfit from him a couple of weeks ago. if it wasn't for the fact i wanted the rod by the weekend shipping would've been free. and then there's the 21 day test drive plan. no shop that i know of will give you a offer like this. take my word on this call him up or pm him and see what he can do for you.

p.s. the outfit i got was $100 less through him than ordering from a major retailer.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Yea... I'll take extra good care of you... even though I'm a Stars fan

I'll throw in a good cordura covered rod tube NC with the 2pc rod.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Steve- I will definitely keep your most generous offer in mind before I purchase a rod. I am just too busy right now to head to store than has a decent selection so I can actually handle some of the rods I hear great things about. The one store that has more than 3 rods around here carries only a couple of rods that are less than 150.00 bucks. The rest are over 250.00 which is more than I want to spend for something I will probably only use 5 to 10 times a year...

BTW the name Canuck2fan does not mean that I like the Canucks hockey team. I used that name when I raced online in a Nascar racing league to denote that I was Canadian or Canuck and a Rusty Wallace fan.....

The Stars are a great team and for a long time were a team I followed with interest due to the number of former players from my favorite team the Montreal Canadiens who played and managed in Dallas.