The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 PM

barberc6864 has a spectacular aura aboutbarberc6864 has a spectacular aura about
Default Which one to buy????

I am just getting into fly fishing and live in Iowa where I will be mostly fishing small streams for trout and smallies and lakes and ponds for gills and crappie. I think I want a 3 or 4wt rod and am not real sure on the length (around $100 or less).

I have narrowed the search to these rods but would be open to other ideas:
Redington Crosswater combo 4wt 7'6" $100
Bass Pro White River Dogwood Canyon Combo 4wt 7' $70
Cabelas Windriver Combo 4wt 7'6" $70
Cabelas Three Forks/Prestige Plus Combo 3wt 7'6" $80

Okuma SLV rod only 2/3wt 8' $70
Greys G-series rod only 3/4wt 8' $60

Any input, suggestions, or experience with any of these would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which one to buy????

The only one that I'm familiar with is the Three Forks. I had one and sold it.
I didn't care for it myself but there are plenty of other people that think differently.
I no longer own any 3wts, but have three 4wts. IMO you'd be happier going that route also

You might want to think about an Albright too
They're having a wicked sale.... check the shipping rate before decide, however

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-o...od-outfit.html
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

I bought a batson forecast 7' 6" 3 wt on ebay from cooks of oregon for 80.00 shipped and it is sweet looking, casts like a dream and for the price it's a steal. i've fished northern Iowa near waterlou and a 4 wt would probably do you more justice in a 7' 6" to 8' range, questions are 1. are you going to be hefting alot of line out? 2. is delicacy key? for example casting size 16 and smaller dry flies to spooky fish? are you going to hook into larger small mouth's? that is a big detemaning factor, if you are general purpose nymph, small mouth streamers, and farting around with crappie than i would go no smaller than 4 wt. the 3 wt i have has a fast recovery but bends almost to the cork, you would not want that if you are targeting 2-3 pound smallies.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If this is going to be your first/only rod, I'd get something longer than 7'6".
An 8-9 foot rod makes line mending, etc much more easy, assuming you're not fishing small streams that are choked with overhanging branches. I wouldn't go by the width of the streams you'll be fishing for rod selection.
A four or five weight rod will also make fishing more enjoyable at this point.
A 9' 5wt can do anything a 7'6" 3/4wt can do, but the reverse is not true.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 AM

barberc6864 has a spectacular aura aboutbarberc6864 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info guys.

To answer some of your questions Iowa trout streams are narrow and often meander in and out of hardwood forests so a long rod may not be best if I don't want to limit my access. However, I would like to be able to cast a fair distance while fishing lakes and farm ponds were overhead cover is usually less of an issue.
Iowa trout streams are mostly put and take so delicacy usually isn't a huge factor but there are a few streams with some native brookies.
Most of the smallies I would be targeting would be 15" and under but if I had a rod that would handle a 2-3 pounder I would try it on the larger Cedar and Mississippi Rivers.

I am starting to wonder if a 4/5 or 5wt might be better.
Also, any advice/opinions on line and leaders would be great.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
If this is going to be your first/only rod, I'd get something longer than 7'6".
An 8-9 foot rod makes line mending, etc much more easy, assuming you're not fishing small streams that are choked with overhanging branches. I wouldn't go by the width of the streams you'll be fishing for rod selection.
A four or five weight rod will also make fishing more enjoyable at this point.
A 9' 5wt can do anything a 7'6" 3/4wt can do, but the reverse is not true.
Agreed. An 8'6" 5wt sounds like the way to go. You need to get used to feeling the rod load before you get into 3wts.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Another vote for frank and cliff-- My first thought was 'man, those are all really short..' go with a longer rod-- anything under 8' is what I consider a fairly specialized tool......

As was mentioned-- 9' will be easier to cast and easier to mend line, etc.....

Also-- if your streams are really that tight-- I suspect you will be using the roll cast often-- also easier with a longer rod-- IMHO.

Also 5 wt. is a good wt. rod for a beginner-- anything lighter and you are limited to small flies to throw into the ponds/lakes.... with a 5 wt. you can (without too much drama) cast some of the heavier/ more wind resistant flies (bead heads, coneheads, some of the bass bugs, etc....)

But, get what feels best to you---
Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Ditto's with Raindogt, Frank and Cliff

Start with a 8' 6" or 9" And learn to roll cast or plop cast on those tight spots you thought a 7' 6" would work. As you get the feel the 7' 6" is a great traveler in the back of the truck or on a plane.

Any wind or bad weather the longer rod is going to help. And tell me when you have calm day's on lakes in IA.

PS... I am working on a trip to IA in March. Near Marian.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post

PS... I am working on a trip to IA in March. Near Marian.
The way things are going around here I am guessing it will be sometime in April before we have open water. The nearest trout streams to Marion are about an hour and a half drive NE of there. Stocking doesn't start until April either but there are usually a few holdovers and a few native brook trout in select streams.

Thanks again for the info. I can definetly see were a longer rod might be better for a newbie like me. I originally thought I wanted at least an 8'-8'6" but got some advice otherwise but I'm not sure that person was taking into account my level of expertise, or lack of.

Now I just need to find the right one in the right price range for an economically challenged graduate student.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

I would say if there is a cabelas or trout shop within reasonable driving distance, call up (trout shop) and see if they let customers test cast some rods and let them know you are looking for something in the 5WT 8' to 9' and under X amount of dollars they might be able to setup something for you. now my experiance is the redington redfly2 is a sweet rod for the money first thing is slow down and let the rod do the work i hated it untill just recently i tried letting the rod cast the line not me acting like it was a slow action and heaving with all my might. that being said dont put ALL your money in gadgets and gizmo's they are convinient but when it comes down to it ROD, REEL, LINE, LEADER, TIPPET, FLY. and go from there what your really do need. I for example fish southeast MN streams with combat boots and columbia convertable pants, do i look like a real fly fisherman, no i probably look silly as hell but the money i saved not getting guchie waders and boots has let me splurge on nicer rods, better fly tying materials, and nicer leaders and tippet. also i have to appologize as i dont know if you said it and i missed it but i had no idea you were novice to FF'ing that said i would retract my previous about a 7' 6" that is not a good starter rod at all. and if you will be fishing lakes you will want the 8' and up to heft your line out there when you get the accuracy bit down and have your casting where you are relaxed. welcome to one of the most addictive and costly sports out there (if you so choose to spend alot)