The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Albright 7 weight

I was looking at the Albright sale and the A-5 9ft 7wt caught my eye. Does anyone have any experience with this rod?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Albright 7 weight

I have that rod and for the money it just cannot be beat. Very smooth action and casts superb. I keep thinking I dont like it because of how cheap it was but then I cast it and all those thoughts go out the window. It really is good stuff.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

What is your impression of the rod? Is it a medium action rod (e.g. your smooth comment) vs. a medium-fast action? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Actually I would definitely classify it as a medium fast action (which I like.)

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Medium-fast is the flex-action I prefer as well. One last question - since the Albright A-5 is a 5-piece rod vs. the normal 4-piece rods, have you noticed any tendency for stiffness or flat spots when casting? e.g. - is there any significant difference in how it casts compared to a 4-piece rod of the same weight?

Thanks in advance for your help with all the questions.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Medium-fast is the flex-action I prefer as well. One last question - since the Albright A-5 is a 5-piece rod vs. the normal 4-piece rods, have you noticed any tendency for stiffness or flat spots when casting? e.g. - is there any significant difference in how it casts compared to a 4-piece rod of the same weight?

Thanks in advance for your help with all the questions.
you can not tell how many peices it is at all. Check this review here.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:59 PM

dmwphoto,

Thanks for all the info - this looks like a pretty decent rod. With the Albright sale it also looks like a pretty decent deal. I think I will order one!

Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:18 AM

Ordered the Albright A-5 7wt rod today. I have an extra 7-9 reel that will fit the rod. Now I just have to find an opportunity to get out and fish it.

dmwphoto - Thanks for all the information on the A-5 7wt.

Rip Tide - thanks for the original heads up on the Albright clearance sale.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:22 AM

barberc6864 has a spectacular aura aboutbarberc6864 has a spectacular aura about

Wow, I guess I'm not the only one on the fly fishing forum at 1:20 in the morning. I don't know if that is good or bad. Either way, cheers!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:51 AM

Being a night-owl by general nature, I thought I would jump onto the forum and mention that I ordered the Albright rod just before I left home earlier this evening. I just got home about an hour ago after working at a charity fundraiser until well after 11PM. We were raising money for the Spina Bifida disability organization (a crippling birth defect).

Regardless of this evening's reasons - I frequently cruise around the forum very late at night or in the wee hours of the morning. I figure any time you can spend actually fishing is great, and any time spent reading or talking about fly fishing is not too bad either - regardless of the time of day!