The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 PM

ford z3 is on a distinguished road
Smile Winston repro rod

During a discussion today regarding hunting a guy says that hunting stories are not as good as fishing stories and asks me if I was interested in fishing equipment as he had a fly rod/reel. The rod is a Winston Retro 7 1/2, #4, 3 piece with cigar handle and cocobollo reel seat in Winston hard case and Winston red soft roll up cloth cover. The reel is a Winston Perfect 3 3/8 and is green. The rod and reel are like new. Brass cap on hard case is so marked as above. The rod is brown with red wrappings. So what have I walked into. My fly fishing experience in limited to off the rack sportsmans stuff.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston repro rod

Hello Ford,
Here's a little info on the rod.
Flyreview.com Fly fishing reviews - Retro Fiberglass - Powered by ReviewPost

Depending on what he wants for the set-up, it sounds like a sweet rod. Let us know what you end up doing.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

...Ford Z3?I know the BMW Z3 and I've been dreaming to drive a Gulf Ford GT40 all my lifethis rod should be a bamboo like action one...seen one on ebay sold for $355....
Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Is the reel seat nickel-silver or anodized aluminum? The reel Winston hasn't offered in a while to the best of my knowledge. You might do well to ask about this on the RL Winston website. They can tell you a lot about it by the serial number.
All I'll say is you have a very nice friend indeed.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
...Ford Z3?I know the BMW Z3 and I've been dreaming to drive a Gulf Ford GT40 all my lifethis rod should be a bamboo like action one...seen one on ebay sold for $355....
That price was more than the rod sold for 'new.' But if you're looking for a specific bit of gear ... why not? And as mentioned in the review, FG's rod action is very close to that of Bamboo.

fae
Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks to all who have responded. The reel seat is most likely anodized aluminum. I looked at the recommended site for the retro rod in one of the responses and the rod I have is the same inlcuding case and soft cloth three section bag. I have purchased the rod/reel combination. The owner/friend was extremely gracious in his price so I will leave it at that. Looking forward to some casting practice and see what happens.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ford,

Maybe you could post some pictures so we can see what you got.

Frank
Old 04-17-2011, 08:23 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

The rod is highly valued amongst Winston fans. While not my favorite glass action (and I generally like Winston rods), They are still a very good small stream trout rod. They have good resale too, depending on condition they go from 3-500 on the used market. The reel was made for Winston by Hardy, it is basically a Perfect without an agate Line guide. I've got two of them. The 3 3/8 will be big for that rod (it is made for 6 and 7 weight lines). They are IMO among the finest trout reels ever made. The resale market agrees as they go for 5-700 depending on condition used on Ebay.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 PM

I think I better put the rod/reel in the safe after hearing the comments on collectability and price amongst Winston fans. My clumsiness may cost me dearly climbing amongst the rocks and brush. I will post pictures when my camera gets back from daughter who just gave me a new grandson; Liam, the lion by his hungry voice. fyshstyker's post has a link to a site that has a picture of a Winston that looks just like mine.