The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 10:57 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road
Default Just ordered!

So I just finally ordered myself a new fly rod! With everyone talking about Albright rods being on sale I decided to get the GP rod. I definitely needed to upgrade to something better, it's a 9' 5/6wt that I'll be using with my GLoomis Venture7. I was wondering if anyone else has this rod or has cast it. I saw some where that somebody used it for light saltwater so I might try that. But as far as saltwater rods anyone have recommendations on 8wt rods?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just ordered!

I haven't cast the Albright, but I hope that you enjoy it.

As for 8 weights. Just the other day, the shop's casting instructor and I went to the local park and lawn casted a bunch of 8 weights with various lines. We found that some rods work better with certain lines and some work well with a variety of lines. Nowadays, it's hard to find a stinker because most rods are very well made.

Here are a few questions for you.
1. Primarily what fish will you be targeting with this rod? Other types of fish?
2. What kind of action do you prefer?
3. What kinds of lines will you use?
4. What types of flies will you use?
5. Will the rod be used by wading/walking, from a skiff (panga), from a kayak, or any combination of?
6. Is there a budget that you are trying to stay around?

I'll try to narrow down the selection on how you answer the questions, but you should cast the rods for yourself. I'm sure we have our own different casting quirks.

MP
Old 02-21-2010, 01:50 AM

Well right now I'm only limited to wading but eventually would like to get a kayak. And I'll be going after bonefish, snook, baby tarpon, and redfish. I like medium action rods, tried a fast action and felt really uncomfortable. As for line i'll definitely get another Rio bonefish floating line but in an 8wt. I'll be using shrimps, crabs, clousers, and bend backs. But I'm sure if I need to use heavier flies an 8wt can handle them. Im really not worried about prices because if I like the rod i'll save up to get it. I talked to a fly shop about 30 mins from my house and they have no problem letting me cast some of their rods.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

One of the problems when you get in the 8 weight and higher category is that your selection of medium fast rods narrows down. Some people will choose the fast rods and will overline to slow them down.

Here is a rod that surprised the heck out of me. The Temple Fork Bob Clouser rod may be a good choice. It has a medium fast action that may suit your stroke. I casted it with a standard weighted WF8F and a head heavy WF8F (more like a WF8.5F) both well. When I was casting with a big puffy indicator (used to represent a wind resistant fly), I preferred the heavier line. For versatility, you may want to go with the Redfish line instead. The Clouser rod is slightly shorter (at 8'9") which may not make a length difference on a kayak. But it should make a "Jack of All Trades" rod for what you want to accomplish.

Another surprise to me was the Redington Predator. Its shorter length (7'10") makes it a good kayak or panga rod for backcountry fish. It is a faster rod, so you may want to slow it down with a heavier line. I would recommend a 9 weight Redfish line or SA Sharkskin Magnum. If you really want to slow it down, string it up with a WF8F Rio Outbound Short (it actually is a 10 weight line). Either line would help you throw all the different types of flies. I believe that Cliff has the 6 weight version.

My favorite two 8 weights are the Scott S4S and the Sage Xi3. They are fast rods, so you would have to slow them down with a 9 weight line. I would recommend the Redfish taper as a versatile line. It also throws 300-350 grain shooting heads beautifully (I don't think that you use shooting heads in your neck of the woods). The rods have the umph to help you throw out a Crazy Charlie at 80 feet accurately, but they also have the backbones to turn a pissy Baby Tarpon. These are standard 9 foot rods, so they may not be the most user friendly on a kayak. Between the two, the Sage had a slightly lighter feel.

Just a thought. You may want to have two rods for the kayak, so you can be rigged differently for different fishing situations.

MP
Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I would call...pro's replies...hats off MP
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed! We are definitely fortunate to have MP here.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

vsyogi: Dorian has an Albright 5 wt fly rod and he has given it high marks in the past, but I think it is the A5, but I might be mistaken.

I have to agree with the other posters, we are lucky to have MP on the forum, he brings a lot of knowledge and freely helps others with rod and line choices that might take years to figure out.

Larry
Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 PM

I know the fly shop has the S4S and Xi3 but they don't have the Predator or the TFO Clouser. What they do have from TFO is the TiCR and TiCRx. They also had a company called Greys, not sure if they are any good. I will have to look around for another fly shop to test the Predator. I also heard Colton has some good rods anybody tried those out? But I do have to thank you Mosca because it's not easy trying to pick out a new rod, you really have been helpful. When I get a chance this week to cast those rods I'll tell you guys what I think. I'm sure by Wednesday or Thursday I'll be getting the Albright GP and I'll post up on how it cast and stuff.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the kudos guys.

I haven't cast a TiCr or TiCriX for awhile, but I remember them being fast rods. I felt that they cast shooting heads better than standard lines. If you want to use them for your purposes, upline them to a 9 weight Redfish taper. If I recall correctly, the TiCr felt a tad faster than the X model. I might be wrong. Cast it for yourself.

I have seen the Greys Platnium XD Saltwater rod, but I haven't cast it. The ferruling, wraps, and finish looked clean. Give it a test run. They may be made offshore, but the quality of Greys builds have been high. It could be the best built $250 rod that you may encounter.

MP
Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mosca,

Unless TFO has redesigned the TiCrx rod it will be faster than the TiCr. A few people prefer the TiCr finding the TiCrx too fast.

Vsyogi, living in Florida you need to think about your requirements for a saltwater rod. As you improve and develop your casting skills you will find a rod that feels stiff now, may be perfect later on. Any rod that feels stiff can be tamed by over lining. Make sure you don't judge a rod as too stiff in the fly shop. It may feel entirely different when it is loaded with the proper line and cast.

If you are going to be fishing a lot of Mangrove trees, and there are a lot in Florida, you will find the Predator style of rod very useful. Accuracy and control is more important than distance.

Frank