The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 AM

andrewzw is on a distinguished road
Question Any decent beginner setups?

I'm 14 years old and I've always wanted to get into fly fishing. I usually do ultralight lake trout fishing.

Looking for a beginner setup for around $200 including everything if that's possible.

Cabela's Prestige® Fly-Fishing Outfits

Is something like that okay? Or any recommendations?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any decent beginner setups?

Andy!glad to see a little young blood here you should find good deals for $200...don't know Cabela's products...you could have a look on e bay too
Old 02-21-2010, 02:45 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site Andy. I'm new to fly fishing as well... just caught my first fish the other day on my third outing with a fly rod.

This is the one I picked up from Cabelas. Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige Plus Fly Combo with Fly Line

I bought the 8'6" 5wt and so far I love it, although I can't compare it against anything else. The kit you linked to is alright, if you want all that stuff. Personally, I'd get the one I linked to and then you still have 120 to spend to get some hip waders, a vest, all the tools you need, plus some tippets in various sizes... you could even get a couple fly boxes and some flies...

That's just my opinion and I'm sure others will be along to give recommendations. Again, and enjoy your stay.

- Justin
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I got the three forks 8'6 6wt/prestige plus reel is what I started out with. I thought it was a very good beginner set up. Very easy to learn to cast with.

There is a thread on here in the Fly Gear FAQ section that lists what a lot of the fly fishing veterans of this site would suggest. Some of the set ups are around the same price as the one you listed but wouldn't come with all the extra gear. This FAQ section has a lot of good information that helped me out a lot when I first started.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-beginner.html

Good luck!
Cabot
Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

That looks like a very good beginner setup. When I started up again after 20 years, I went to....( it's almost hard to say now ) Walmart, and got a south bend set up.....horrid.....but it did get me into my first fish....and now the rest is bug chucking history....now i had a friend who did the same, but he bought a real expensive set up.....about 1,000.00 set up.....and now he doesn't even wet a line anymore. I call all the time, and he blows it off.....I guess my thought is get a decent setup to make sure you have the bug...( pun intended ) then hold on to your wallet.....( my wife does that for me ) I personally have never been happier.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 AM

I probably won't be purchasing for a while though so I figured I'd get an idea. I'm still trying to learn about fly fishing in general. I've only done it once before a year ago in Oregon with my cousin and I loved it.

Was watching those yesterday also, I'm assuming it's relevant to today's fly fishing.

Thanks simmons, that looks like a pretty good rod and thanks bekiu, I'll check out that section and link.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:14 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I own a Cabelas Three Forks rod. A 3 wt. 7'6" lightweight rod. I like it pretty well and would feel good about recommending that rod line to other people, plus it's dang affordable.

If you are intent on getting a whole setup I would really recommend the TFO beginners kit they have. It is about 200 bucks, but the rod is one that you could really grow with, they are a good reputable company.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
I own a Cabelas Three Forks rod. A 3 wt. 7'6" lightweight rod. I like it pretty well and would feel good about recommending that rod line to other people, plus it's dang affordable.

If you are intent on getting a whole setup I would really recommend the TFO beginners kit they have. It is about 200 bucks, but the rod is one that you could really grow with, they are a good reputable company.
Cabela's -- TFO NXT Combo

This one?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:13 AM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

Dorian makes a good point about the NXT combo being capable of meeting your fishing needs for a long time. The NXT is the Professional series TFO rod with a decent disk drag reel. The Pro is our most popular rod line and fits the casting ability of the widest range of anglers.

With a decent level of maintenance on the reel - rinse and lube it now and again - and cleaning and dressing the line a few times each year, you'll get 5-10 years out of the line and the rod and reel will last almost forever.

And it comes with a lifetime warranty, even against car doors, ceiling fans, and Labrador retrievers.

Truth in advertising statement - I'm on the TFO Pro Staff. But I don't fish TFO just because I'm on their Pro Staff, I'm on their Pro Staff because I fish them.

Craig
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewzw View Post
That's the one!