The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Professional Cork Replacement - How Much?

I recently bought an Orvis ZG Helios on eBay represented to be "brand new". While the rod blank and its guides appear pristine, there are scuffs on the rod seat indicating previous reel seating, the cork grip has obvious soiling, and - more important to me - the cork grip has half a dozen 1/4-1/2" long deep and 1/8+" wide gouges in the cork. Even my oldest 35-year-old rods don't have cork chipped out or indented like that. I verified with my local Orvis dealer that this rod was in no way "brand new", but here's my question: What does it cost to professionally replace with new-Helios-quality the cork on a rod, including its fighting butt (this is an 11' 7-wt. "switch" rod)? I paid $425 for what would retail at Orvis for $850 - half price, not bad since it includes an unsigned Rod Registration Card, but it does have bad cork. I can and might pursue refund through eBay Buyer Protection, but then, at that half price, it might be worth just getting the cork replaced.

Neil

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 04-18-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Minor gramatical correction & add name.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional Cork Replacement - How Much?

Hi Neil,
For that price (with an unsigned registration card) I'd be willing to fill the cork with an epoxy/corkdust mix and resand it myself.
Of course a lathe would make the job much easier.

Not sure what having the Butt Section redone would cost, but I would guess a couple hundred anyway.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a cork from a wine bottle and practice on it first. Try white oak saw dust first. It actually does a better job of matching cork than cork when you mix it with the epoxy. Experiment with the epoxy/dust mix till you get a good feel for it. When you fill the holes, take a paper towel with alcohol on it to clean around the fill spots. Be careful not to wipe the fill out of the cork while you are cleaning it. finish it up after the mix has dried with real fine sand paper like 220 or finer. PRACTICE FIRST. Most fill on factory cork by the way is mixed with wood glue. It is somewhat water soluable and the main reason why it comes out with time. It does however look closer to real cork than the epoxy mix. you can use it but you should coat the whole works with U40 cork seal if you do.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of folks using this product: http://www.elmers.com/product/detail...ilterPath=wood The product actually has 'wood' in it and was designed for 'out door' work.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

If you don't return it your best bet as suggested would be to carefully fill it which should last for years with all the modern Glues etc,however down the track if the repairs fall out,get worse the last resort would be to replace the Cork Rings which isn't a hard job just has to be done properly.
The cost of repaires by a Rod Builder/Repairer I suppose $100-$100 +?? depending on the number of Rings to be replaced,whether the Binding,check had to removed,replaced,relacqued etc.
Good Luck.
Brian.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:42 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I recently bought an Orvis ZG Helios on eBay represented to be in "brand new" condition. While the rod blank and its guides appear pristine, there are scuffs on the rod seat indicating previous reel seating, the cork grip has obvious soiling, and - more important to me - the cork grip has half a dozen 1/4-1/2" long deep and 1/8+" wide gouges in the cork. Even my oldest 35-year-old rods don't have cork chipped out or indented like that. I verified with my local Orvis dealer that this rod was in no way "brand new", but here's my question: What does it cost to professionally replace with new-Helios-quality the cork on a rod, including its fighting butt (this is an 11' 7-wt. "switch" rod)? I paid $425 for what would retail at Orvis for $850 - half price, not bad since it includes an unsigned Rod Registration Card, but it does have bad cork. I can and might pursue refund through eBay Buyer Protection, but then, at that half price, it might be worth just getting the cork replaced.
I've done quite a bid of e-bay recently and here's what I would do...

E-MAIL THAT S-o-B AND TELL HIM HE'S A GRADE A+ SCHMUCK!!! I would then ask him for a partial refund so you can fund the fixing of his misadvertised product. If it was an honest mistake (though I might doubt it if it is as bad as you say) and you send him some pics of what you are dissatisfied with he should comply with your request. Maybe you'll get $50 or even more out of him to fund your repair. Many mistakes are honest, but something that bad should have been seen with even a casual glance, let alone the type of twice over you ought to give an item that you are going to sell.

I'd probably leave out the GRADE A+ SCHMUCK PART at first, try to shmooze the cash out of him, maybe even apologize for buggin him etc...and then tell him how dissappointed you are that it wasn't quite what he had said. I have had to do this on a couple of occasions and it has worked every time.

If you don't get any satisfaction (and even if you keep the rod) make sure you use up every character allotted in your negative review evaluation.

Let me know if you get any satisfaction this way...

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
If you don't return it your best bet as suggested would be to carefully fill it which should last for years with all the modern Glues etc,however down the track if the repairs fall out,get worse the last resort would be to replace the Cork Rings which isn't a hard job just has to be done properly.
The cost of repaires by a Rod Builder/Repairer I suppose $100-$100 +?? depending on the number of Rings to be replaced,whether the Binding,check had to removed,replaced,relacqued etc.
Good Luck.
Brian.
The only estimate I ever got for a cork handle replacement was from the Winston service dept. I believe that they wanted $150 for replacing the cork + their $50 service/handling charge. I would assume that you could probably get Sage to do it for that much or less, and you could probably get it done for about half of that from a local rod builder. You may want to contact SAGE; is the cork beat up, or is it falling apart? If it is the latter, they may cover it under warranty if you get lucky.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Neil,
I'd like to see some pics of the handle.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Neil,
I'd like to see some pics of the handle.
I'm with you on that. Good cork is not cheap or readily available right now. My guess is a Helois handle installed correctly with high grade cork is a $50-100 job. You might be able to get Orvis to do it cheap as a non warranty repair. Some times companies stand behind their products even if you don't buy them new, just because good customer service is a sales tool.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though I as well as others has suggested filling,I've had another thought as the Rod you bought is a Top Shelf unit which you bought in new condition.
I also buy heaps on eBay,ausablebrown is correct in saying you have bought the Rod from his description on eBay & the guy should in reallity pay for the repairs.
Also as burk 48237 has said it wouldn't do any harm to ask an Orvis Rep if they were prepared to fix your problem,if not surely there should be a Rod Builder around who would be prepared to repair it.
Let us know how you go.
Good Luck.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:32 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Not what your after but I saw this tonight Pit Paste Cork Gap Filler at J.Stockard. Never used it, but I am thinking about it