The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default TFO finesse question

ok so i am thinking about ordering the TFO finesse 8'9" 4wt rod and have read alot of reviews adn most say to go a line wt heavier than the rod was for. so i would need to get a 5wt line according to those claims. What do all of you think? is the heavier line a good idea or a bad idea or does it really make a difference?

Thanks,

AB
Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: TFO finesse question

On that TFO rod, I'd call overlining a bad idea, as its already a fairly soft rod. For other TFO rods, like the TiCRX or Axiom, overlining makes more sense. I'd put a SA Trout line on it and call it good.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
On that TFO rod, I'd call overlining a bad idea, as its already a fairly soft rod. For other TFO rods, like the TiCRX or Axiom, overlining makes more sense. I'd put a SA Trout line on it and call it good.
what about the professional series? would over line with that be a good idea?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Personally I wouldn't, but that is a bit stiffer rod than the Finesse series, so I'd call overlining it a "less bad" idea than overlining the Finesse.

Basically it boils down to this: there's a pro overlining crowd, and an anti crowd. The pro crowd will tell you that all todays rods are stiffer than they used to be (basically true), that it helps you feel the rod load better (the heavier line is going to put more bend in the rod, so this is also true), and that the heavier line works better on shorter casts (absolutely true) and turning over bigger flies (also true). The anti crowd will say that the line weight printed on the rod is what the manufacturer designed it for and they know more about fly rods than you do (true), that you should buy a rod that's going to flex like you want with the line the mfg designed it for (makes sense to me), and that the added weight of a heavier line causes a rod to get mushy when carrying alot of line in the air (generally true).

Its up to you which route you go, but if you're wanting to buy a rig that deliver's flies like a 5wt and flexes halfway down the blank when casting, I think buying the 8'9" 5wt Finesse with matching line makes more sense than buying a 4wt Pro and putting a 5wt line on it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't, but that is a bit stiffer rod than the Finesse series, so I'd call overlining it a "less bad" idea than overlining the Finesse.

Basically it boils down to this: there's a pro overlining crowd, and an anti crowd. The pro crowd will tell you that all todays rods are stiffer than they used to be (basically true), that it helps you feel the rod load better (the heavier line is going to put more bend in the rod, so this is also true), and that the heavier line works better on shorter casts (absolutely true) and turning over bigger flies (also true). The anti crowd will say that the line weight printed on the rod is what the manufacturer designed it for and they know more about fly rods than you do (true), that you should buy a rod that's going to flex like you want with the line the mfg designed it for (makes sense to me), and that the added weight of a heavier line causes a rod to get mushy when carrying alot of line in the air (generally true).

Its up to you which route you go, but if you're wanting to buy a rig that deliver's flies like a 5wt and flexes halfway down the blank when casting, I think buying the 8'9" 5wt Finesse with matching line makes more sense than buying a 4wt Pro and putting a 5wt line on it.
i have always been a memeber of the anti crowd and still am and that all re inforced that. there are alot of slow shallow streams in my area and i am lookinf for something that will lay down the fly just as soft and natural as possible. thanks man
Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 AM

afishinado is on a distinguished road

Quote:

All true! But, your rod can actually be adapted to the fishing situation by overlining a rod when all you casts are short for example, and underlining for longer casts. If the truth be known, the difference between line weight, say a 4wt vs. a 5wt is only 20gr. or in feet approx. 5 feet of fly line. In other words, 25' of 5wt line weighs the same as 30' of 4 wt line. In a small stream situation where the casts are short, you may find a heavier will load your rod well. Instead of buying a different rod to fish different streams, changing the line my be all you need to do in some cases. Also if you check the CCE rating system, rods from different manufacturers and different models are all over the place with regard to power. Give it a try!
Old 02-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I don't have enough experience to offer any advice one way or the other. Some lines advertise 1/2 over-wieght, Rio Grand for example. A 4 wt is actually a 4.5 wt, etc. Just another option. That's what the fly shop put on my TFO that they said was fast action.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

TFO Finesse - Overline? - No
TFO Pro - Overline? - I wouldn't. But if you wanted to slow it down some to match your stroke (if you really need to), it may not be a bad idea.

MP