The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 07:30 PM

colinandrew is on a distinguished road
Default Fli vs. Flight vs. Launch vs. TFO Sig Pro vs. Echo Carbon???

Let me first just say, that I THOUGHT I was a very experienced fly fisherman until I started reading threads on this sight. Ridiculous. You guys are insane.... in a good way. I feel like a newb all over again.

Ok. Im looking for a good 7'6"-7'9" 3wt rod, med/fast. My price range is between $200-$250. I know that there is a lot out there.... especially if I consider older models as well. Whether its med/fast-fast doesnt matter as much too me. I am comfortable with both. I just need something a little stiffer.

Right now the only shorty 3wt I have is an old Sage 379 LL. Passed down to me by my father, along with many many other good rods. I love the rod for fishing small dries, but its just too soft for nymphing. Im having problems getting the hook set.... too much give too it.

Rods that Ive been considering.... Sage Flight, Fli, Launch, Vantage, Echo Carbon, TFO Professional. Any thoughts???

I know that the best way to choose a rod is to go out and test cast them, but I just dont have that luxury right now. Only one fly shop where I live, and they dont carry anything smaller than a 9ft 5wt.

Thanks for any opinions. Colin

Last edited by colinandrew; 02-26-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: First post..... ever. A Discussion of light weights.

Colin,

Welcome to the group! Opinions will be forth coming.

Ard

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Colin,

In the length you specify I own an old Orvis 7'9" Far & Fine 5wt. I have never used anything lighter than a 5wt for nymphing but there are oodles of rods in the size and weight you are after. Where do you live?

Ard
Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks man. Looking forward to it.

Ive got to get my pop in the loop.... he'll lose his mind.

He's retired... and will spend numerous hrs on here Im afraid.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great! Have him toss in an intro and we'll take it from there.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 AM

anybody else????

im thinking the flight is the best of the bunch for under $300. The TFO Professional and Echo Carbon are good for under $200.

Last edited by colinandrew; 02-26-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

colin,

The TFO Signature and the TFO Professional are 2 different line of rods. Both are available in a 7' 6" 3wt, with the Signature being a 2pc rod and the Professional being a 4pc rod. Both rods are designated by TFO as Medium-Fast actions, but I find the Signature rods to be softer than the Professional rods. I guess the Signature rods are somewhere between medium and medium-fast. You said you wanted a rod that was a little stiffer, so the Professional may be a better fit for what you described.

Both of these rods are below the price range you listed - you can get the 3wt Signature for $110 and the 3wt Professional will run $150 - with upcoming Spring sales you can probably save another $10-$20. I have the 3wt Professional and it does a very nice job with midges and small drys.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Not sure but I thought that the Sage Fli had been replaced by the Flight (???). If you can still find one it should be at an excellent price point. It was getting great reviews a couple of years ago. I'm too much of a noob to give a good review but my Fli is the rod that I learned to cast so I love the feel.
I've also got two TFO's (Lefty & a Teeny). They are a faster action so I took a fly shops suggestion and went with 1/2 overwieght lines (Rio Grand to be exact). Also good, IMO.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM

Yeah, the Fli was replaced by the flight, but I can still find them on the internet for cheap. Ive never felt either of them, so I dont know if there is much difference.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:34 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

colin, FWIW I have (2) TFO Lefty Signature series and I am completely satisfied with both. I thought I really loved my 5 wt but lately I've been using the 3 wt as I've only been catching small trout....

Regards, Boser
Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Not sure if you have ever built a rod before but you can save a lot of money that way. I just built a 6'6" 3wt Orvis Trout Bum and have around $230 in it. First 3wt I have ever owned and finally got to hook it into a trout the other day. The trout was a little bigger than I was expecting to catch in that creek and needless to say the rod flexed clear down to the cork but it brought it in. Guess that is what I get for building a full flex rod. I do believe the next one I build will be in more of a faster category with a little more backbone.
Tuck