The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default St. Croix Triumph - Nice Surprise

A friend of mine decided to start fly fishing, and wanted to keep the initial costs as reasonable as possible. He asked what brand/size rod would be a low-cost but decent rod for a beginner. A family member recommended that he try the St. Croix Triumph rods on clearance sale from Cabela's for $50 - I suggested the 8'6" 4pc 5w. Well he went to the local Cabela's and bought the 8'6" 2pc 5wt (they were out of the (4pc), and we tried it out this afternoon in the backyard. To be honest I was surprised at how well the rod felt and cast. My past experience with a low-end St. Croix rod (Premiere) left me unsatisfied, since the Premiere was at best a medium flex rod, much softer than I prefer.

The Triumph rod is called "Moderate Fast" and it feels a little bit softer than the 8'6" 5wt TFO rod we compared it against. That being said, the St. Croix Triumph is a very decent rod in finish and function, and with the current price it is an absolute steal! I was impressed enough with the performance of his rod that I ordered an 8'6" 5wt 4pc for $50 to have as a teaching rod when I want to loan out a rod to a beginner wanting to learn. I think the slightly slower action works great for someone brand new to fly fishing.

I saw a couple of threads earlier this month where forum members recommended the St. Croix rod (in an 8'6" 5wt) as a good starting rod for beginners. I had my doubts, but you guys really hit the nail on the head. Great advice!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:13 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: St. Croix Triumph - Nice Surprise

I have the same rod. I bought it for my wife to learn on. I think it cast as good as a few of my high end rods. This is by far the best 50 dollar rod i have ever cast. I have the 5wt 4pc 8', My wife doesn't seem to like fly fishing so i get to use it.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

And just how many times have you bought fly rods "for the wife"?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 AM

barberc6864 has a spectacular aura aboutbarberc6864 has a spectacular aura about

I just got my 8'6" 5wt Triumph from Cabela's in the mail. Although I am new to fly fishing, I have done many different types of fishing over the years and have owned many spinning and baitcasting rods and this rod is definetly of high quality. The graphite is sensitive and the rod is well balanced with a good finish. No gaps or globs of glue and well worth every penny of $50. I would expect a graphite spinning rod of equal quality to easily cost $70-$80 or even more. I can't wait for my reel to show up so I can get out and start practicing. I know that it is hard to tell without actually casting or catching a fish, but I really like the action of this rod. It has a good stiff backbone but yet fairly quick flexible tip section that should make casting easier and fighting fish a blast.

Thanks to the forum members who put me on to this steal. If anyone is thinking of getting into FFing or wants a good back-up that won't break the bank I highly recomend picking one up before they are gone.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberc6864 View Post
I know that it is hard to tell without actually casting or catching a fish, but I really like the action of this rod. It has a good stiff backbone but yet fairly quick flexible tip section that should make casting easier and fighting fish a blast.
You'll think you know what that rod feels like until you actually put a line on it. You aren't pitching bait with that rod, you are throwing line.