The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough
Default Introductory Rod for a beginner..

Hi All,

I'm new to fly fishing but not to fishing. I've been pan fish & bass fishing since I was a youngster but now I'm wanting to try my hand at fly fishing. I need some help in choosing some gear. My in-laws and I are heading down to the Smoky Mountain National Park in late June.

The target fish I'm going for are Brook, Rainbow & Brown Trout. But, I also want to use the rod & reel for my local (central Illinois) pan fish. So, I need them to be relatively versatile. I don't want to spend a fortune for a rod & reel in case fly fishing isn't my bag. I know most of you will be bias towards particular brands so the specs will do just fine. Any help with this would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Introductory Rod for a beginner..

I'd just look into a starter outfit at your local sporting goods store. Temple fork outfitters makes a decent one, as does St. Croix. Redington also makes decent starter kits, and they even come with Rio line. I have a couple cheapo Pfleuger 5 weight rods that actually cast very well considering they were like $40 a piece. They don't always cast in a perfectly straight line, but I can get out a good 60-70ft cast with relatively little effort, and I've landed hundreds of fish on them (even hooked an angry summer steelhead on one). The build quality isn't great, mostly plastic and stainless steel guides, but the action is nice. My dad has a couple "Yellowstone" cheapo's too, and they are much stiffer and more challenging to cast (actually, quite difficult). The blank is visibly thicker considering they are the same weight, so make sure and give them a good waggle and make sure they have some give to them.

You'd probably want a 5/6 weight for the most versatility. A 6 weight is probably the smallest you want to go for a largemouth or carp. Look for something with a medium-fast action.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:23 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I'd agree with oregonism...a 5wt would do it.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 PM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

Do yourself a favor and get a few lessons and/or hire a guide either at home or in the smokies. A guide will cost a bit more than lessons but it will end up being a lesson on the water. Use their equipment - let the instructor/guide know you are a beginner and would like their help in figuring out what rods might suit you. If you start out in this fashion you can't help but find that fly fishing is very much your bag. If you go out and buy some equipment cold and go try to catch trout with a fly rod you will get nothing but frustrated.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

A 5wt rod is THE general all-around rod to start with. However, considering your destination and home use, I would recommend possibly going with a 4wt. In either case, I would suggest a length no longer than 8'-6". The smokeys are known for tight quarters.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorrison View Post
Do yourself a favor and get a few lessons and/or hire a guide either at home or in the smokies. A guide will cost a bit more than lessons but it will end up being a lesson on the water. Use their equipment - let the instructor/guide know you are a beginner and would like their help in figuring out what rods might suit you. If you start out in this fashion you can't help but find that fly fishing is very much your bag. If you go out and buy some equipment cold and go try to catch trout with a fly rod you will get nothing but frustrated.
Agree'd... try and at least get out on a lawn and figure out the dynamics of how casting works. When people ask me to teach them how to fish, they look at me like I'm from from mars when I tell them we should practice on a lawn first with a piece of yarn tied to the end of the line.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough

oregonism - "try and at least get out on a lawn and figure out the dynamics of how casting works. When people ask me to teach them how to fish, they look at me like I'm from from mars when I tell them we should practice on a lawn first"

Thats not crazy at all. Thats the way I taught myself how to use a bait caster.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Alot of good advice so far, you would do well with an 8' to 8'6" 4 or 5wt. In your neck of the woods and 8'0" 4 wt is the "go to" rod much like the 9'0" 5wt is out west.

Lessons are the best investment, and lessons while on the water are even better as you learn to cast and read the river.

The one thing I would politely disagree with is the sporting goods store outfits. You can cruise fleabay and get yourself a much better rod and reel for the same price. The benefit being is that if fly fishing turns out not to be your thing you can always sell the stuff for close to what you paid for it. I would look for the following models, catch them at the right time and you can get them cheap:

Sage: DS, DS2, VPS, Launch
St Croix: Avid, Reign or cheaper Premier, Rio Santo
TFO: Pro or even the Finese

Also, no resale value but...my wife has Cortland Cl and it is a fine casting rod.

I feel, dollar for dollar, you can't beat St.Croix for entry level rods. They give you a mighty fine blank and keep the cost down through the components. I started with a premier and wished I never sold it. I have and avid and it is sweet, I fish it as much as my much more expensive rods.

Last edited by fireroad; 05-24-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Fat fingers...
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM

overefined is on a distinguished road

if you will put in your casting practice time, the shorter 4 wt. will in my opinion, be a lot more fun for the smokeys. I have a Sage FLI 4 wt. that would be a great starter, and they can be found used.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

One rod I forgot to mention that is getting great reviews is the Redington CT (Classic Trout). Since Redington was bought by Sage their rods gone up a notch it feel and quality. This is because Sage has been sharing manufacturing techniques with their little sister company. Many also believe that newer Redingtons are now merely proven Sage designs manufactured overseas with the Redington name. No matter what the true story is you can get a 8ft 4wt Classic Trout shipped to your door for $150 that will do everything you described in your first post and then some.