The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 06:29 PM

tray is on a distinguished road
Default 3wt Rod Dillema

Trying to shortlist my next purchase. Got it narrowed to these rods but I cannot decide which way to go. I amtrying to stay with a $250.00 rod. I already have 2 Sage 5wts. A DS and RPL+. In addition, a Thomas & Thomas 6wt. HS Series. I wanted to add a nice 3wt. for those small mountain streams I encounter here in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming but don't want to drop the $500-$700 for top end since the majority of my fishing is with the 5 wts.

I am partial to Sage rods and like the 7'-6" series but not in a 2 piece rod. My leanings are toward the TFO Finesse. I've looked at St. Croix, Winston, Loomis, Orvis and keep coming back to the TFO rods. Any suggestions based on your experiences?

TFO Finesse 3wt. 7'-9", 4 piece
TFO Professional 3wt. 7'-6", 4piece
Sage Launch 3wt. 8'-6", 4 piece
Sage Launch 3wt. 7'-6", 2 piece
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3wt Rod Dillema

I've never fished TFO, but I've been tempted to.

IMO, I'd get the St. Croix Avid in 7'9" 4pc. It's retail is $240, but you might be able to get a deal if you hunt around. It's got a medium fast action, so it would depend on what you prefer.

$.02 deposited.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:41 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

cooks of oregon on ebay has a sweet 3wt but i dont know if they have a 4wt, it's a forecast. for the 80.00 i paid i would like to see either you named astonish me more than this has. oh and it's a 7'6"

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs052...._5813789_n.jpg
Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

When facing the same question I bought a St. Croix Imperial and have been ver pleased.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

The new Imperial might be the ticket. Didn't notice that it came with a Lifetime warranty. Nice.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

This one isn't on your list, I bought a Ross 8'6" 3wt last spring..I love it...Fun for fishing gills, and very nice for small stream trout...

Dan
Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 PM

tray is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to update everyone on my choice. I went ahead and ordered a St. Croix Avid, 7'-9", 4 piece - 3wt. Got a chance to compare one with a TFO Professional and Finesse. Would have liked all three, although the Porfessional was a bit stiffer Med-Fast Flex, than the other 2.

Haven't decided on a specific reel yet but was able to recently pick up a Sage 3100 Series Click Reel (discontinued) for $140.00. It's an ultra light reel, 3"dia., weighing in at 2 3/4 oz. Since the Avid weighs in @ 2.6 oz. this reel should match up pretty well. We'll see. Got a couple of other ideas if this combo doesn't work. Will probably load the reel (whichever one I use) with RIO Trout LT "DT3F".
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

very nice setup, the RIO LT dt3t is a sweet line just got a month ago, actually worked well in MN the last two weekends.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM

I have a Cortland 55, which is a click and pawl reel. Really all you need for a 3wt. I think I got it for $35 shipped. Balances on the 2wt and 3wt very nicely.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:46 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: 3wt Rod Dillema

You have made your choice, but I would consider Scott A3, available in 7'6" and up in 3 weight. Suggested retail $335-maybe available for less? Made in Colorado instead of China or Korea. The Avid is also great, and made in the USA.