The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default what would you get next?

ok so as a lot know im still kinda new to Fly Fishing more relearning than anything.....i have a 9' 5wt Sage Flight and also a 8'6" 3wt off brand....if you were to get another rod what would you get? been looking at maybe getting one of the $50 St Croix rods if i still can but not really sure what to get really as far as weight and length that i couldnt already do with the 2 i have.....anyone got any ideas or opinions maybe
Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what would you get next?

Well, it depends on where you fish and what you like to fish for, but I couldn't do without an 8wt.
I have 4 and I probably use that size the most.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Gotta agree with Rip (naturally). Really depends on the water your gonna fish and what you're after.

I'd LOVE to have a 9wt, but I'd almost never use it.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Yea prob never gonna use anything very big...mainly fishin for trout and maybe some bass but thats about it
Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I have a 3 and a 5 wt. My next rod will either be a 4 or 6. Once I have these then the majority of my fishing needs will be covered. Now who wants to loan me a couple grand
TUck
Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Were it me (and I know it's not), I'd go for a 7wt and you'd be done.

Just my opinion, but you'd have just about all freshwater fish covered, except perhaps big musky or pike.

I picked up a backup 5wt for streamers and a 4wt just for fun.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Im with Rip Tide,I cant do without an 8wt.Since you have a 3wt and a 5wt,you have the lighter weights covered.An 8wt would give you a good bass rod and cover you for about 90% of inshore saltwater fishing.Matter of fact,if I could only have one rod for the rest of my life,it would be an 8wt.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Yep, +1 for an 8 wt for the bigger ones.
I just watched a DVD of a guy landing a 30 lb King Salmon with a 5 wt. One of the experienced guys told me that the big Steelhead and Salmon are just going to head for the deepest pool and sit there so you need something strong to horse them out.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

In the future it would be nice to get an 8 or 9wt for some angry Minnesota carp or pike. But that will have to wait until there is more room in "Cabot's Fishing stuff" budget. Then again, what are birthdays for anyway?
Cabot
Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Add another for the 8 or 9 wt... good all around for heavier fish.

- Justin