what would you get next?

luked

Reaction score
ok so as a lot know im still kinda new to Fly Fishing more relearning than anything.....i have a 9' 5wt Sage Flight and also a 8'6" 3wt off brand....if you were to get another rod what would you get? been looking at maybe getting one of the $50 St Croix rods if i still can but not really sure what to get really as far as weight and length that i couldnt already do with the 2 i have.....anyone got any ideas or opinions maybe

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Well, it depends on where you fish and what you like to fish for, but I couldn't do without an 8wt.
I have 4 and I probably use that size the most.

axle27

Reaction score
Gotta agree with Rip (naturally). Really depends on the water your gonna fish and what you're after.

I'd LOVE to have a 9wt, but I'd almost never use it.

luked

Reaction score
Yea prob never gonna use anything very big...mainly fishin for trout and maybe some bass but thats about it

ksigtuck

Reaction score
I have a 3 and a 5 wt. My next rod will either be a 4 or 6. Once I have these then the majority of my fishing needs will be covered. Now who wants to loan me a couple grand:D
TUck

axle27

Reaction score
Were it me (and I know it's not), I'd go for a 7wt and you'd be done.

Just my opinion, but you'd have just about all freshwater fish covered, except perhaps big musky or pike.

I picked up a backup 5wt for streamers and a 4wt just for fun.

SkipS

Reaction score
Im with Rip Tide,I cant do without an 8wt.Since you have a 3wt and a 5wt,you have the lighter weights covered.An 8wt would give you a good bass rod and cover you for about 90% of inshore saltwater fishing.Matter of fact,if I could only have one rod for the rest of my life,it would be an 8wt.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Yep, +1 for an 8 wt for the bigger ones.
I just watched a DVD of a guy landing a 30 lb King Salmon with a 5 wt. One of the experienced guys told me that the big Steelhead and Salmon are just going to head for the deepest pool and sit there so you need something strong to horse them out.

bekiu002

Reaction score
In the future it would be nice to get an 8 or 9wt for some angry Minnesota carp or pike. But that will have to wait until there is more room in "Cabot's Fishing stuff" budget. Then again, what are birthdays for anyway?
Cabot

Brewmaster

Reaction score
I also agree - get a decent 7wt or 8wt, either will make a great bass rod and can be use as a light saltwater if you need it. But for the $50 you might want to go ahead and pick up one of the St. Croix rods on sale so you have a backup for the 5wt - that is the best overall trout weight. Where you said you mostly fish you will use the 5wt more than the 3wt or a heavier rod. FYI - Cabelas still has an 8'6" 5wt rod available through the catalog.

bloodhound

Reaction score
Absolutely need a longer 9' 6"-10' 6-7wt for montana nymphing and streamer work, that can double as bass and small pike rod for Mississippi river backwaters.

or if i move to Vegas an 8-9WT for lake mead stripers.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
If you are mainly fishing for trout and bass you have the small end covered and I would say a 6 wt for bass and you should be set. I have a 4,5 and 6 wt for all trout situations but still need to get an 8 wt for steelies and for when I go back to MN for pike and muskies. If money is tight look into building a rod, it will save you a bunch of money and really isn't that hard.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I'd spend the $50 +/- on a 6wt line. You can use that with your Flight, and
it'll cast larger bass patterns more easily. The Triumphs appear to be mostly
gone, and your Flight has a lifetime warranty. It would seem your covered for
the type of fishing you do. I own several rods, but fish mostly the same two. ;)

ddombos2

Reaction score
Well, it depends on where you fish and what you like to fish for...
I'd suggest a 4wt. for a little bit more punch, but great presentation. Then again, maybe you go get a longer/shorter or faster/slower rod in a weight you already have.

Rather than spending on a 6wt, I would go Frank's route and line up that 5 wt for bulkier flies.