The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default 8wt for bonefishing...

I'm going to an Island in the Bahamas that has very accessible flats, lots of bonefish and is pretty inexpensive, but you need to bring your own gear. I'm trying to find a relatively inexpensive rod (sub-$200) that will fit the bill, but it has to be a 4-piece and saltwater friendy, and likely an 8wt. It also needs to be able to cast like a champ, because I have no idea how close I'll be able to get to the fish before they spook.

So far, my two first choices are the Echo Ion and the TFO TiCr. Any other options I'm blanking on?

Oh, and I'll be taking a guide out my first day so I can learn to spot the fish and figure out the proper presentation, but then I have two weeks to walk the flats by myself.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: 8wt for bonefishing...

oregonism,

Depending on your level of experience, you might want to consider the TFO Jim Teeny rod - it is just a little bit slower than the TFO TiCr, but is still a pretty fast rod. I think the biggest difference is the Jim Teeny rod has a bit more responsive tip than the TiCr, but the butt section should be equivalent. Should make the J-T rod a little easier to cast and a little more forgiving.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:32 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Well, I use an older GL3 right now, and I'm pretty good with it and enjoy the fast action. It definitely seems to take a little gusto to load it, but it can fling out a good amount of line.

The place I'm going to pick up a rod stocks TFO rods, so I'll hopefully get to handle a few different models. Are their professional series any good? I was just asking because the price is pretty attractive.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
Well, I use an older GL3 right now, and I'm pretty good with it and enjoy the fast action. It definitely seems to take a little gusto to load it, but it can fling out a good amount of line.
If you want to use the GL3 for bones, upline to a 9 weight Bonefish line. It will make the rod load easier for you.

Quote:
The place I'm going to pick up a rod stocks TFO rods, so I'll hopefully get to handle a few different models. Are their professional series any good? I was just asking because the price is pretty attractive.
I would rather use a quicker rod than the Pro Series rod for the flats just in case the wind picked up.

MP
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Pretty much all major brands are saltwater friendly once you go to 7 wt and up.

It sounds like price is a driving factor here...You may want to even look at some cabela's XST. That is their saltwater series, they are all 4-piece and they retail for $195. You can combo that with their XSS, their saltwater reel, reel for $270. Now through March 9th, they have free shipping with the 2XSHIP offer code.

Note, I've never been much on Cabela's reels, but their higher end stuff is okay. My buddy has a couple SR reels. They are decent.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
I agree with MP - The TFO Pro series are nice rods, but they are a medium-fast, where the TFO Jim Teeny and the TFO TiCr are considered fast rods. If you get into a lot of wind, a faster rod will help you cast further and with heavier flies. However, if bucks are really tight, the TFO Pro can make a decent light saltwater rod, just be prepared to back off if the wind gets too strong.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Here are two mid-price suggestions:

1. Redington CPX 9'0" 8 wt.
2. Scott A3 9'0" 8 wt.

My "go to" 8 wt. is a Redington CPS (the model before the CPX). It's a great rod that sees plenty of water time in the Summer fishing for Stripers off the coast of Maine. And it also does well on the flats in Ascension Bay, on the Boca Pailla. It has a great feel; whether you're fishing large bulky patterns or light, minimally weighted patterns. Based on that, and knowing that the CPX is a little faster rod, I'd have a look at it, cast it and see if it meets your needs.

I also really like the Scott A3; for many of the same reasons.

Both of these are mid-price rods; $300-400. And, in my opinion, both do a very good job fishing for small-mid sized saltwater species.

Pocono
Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM

I'd love a Scott A3 or anything in that price range (particularly the Sage Vantage, which has excellent reviews), but it's well beyond what I can spend. I have about $300-350 for a rod/reel combo, so I'm pretty limited.

My local fly shop is offering a free Airflo line with the purchase of any Echo rod, so that is pushing me in that direction so I can save an additional $60-70.

I'm just on a college student budget and it's a miracle I can even get on this trip to begin with. I'd bring my GL3 to the Bahamas, but it's a 2-piece and the reel seat isn't corrosion resistant. I want to carry on my rod because I'd be devastated if it went missing in transit.

I may also look on a few forums for used gear too.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My local fly shop is offering a free Airflo line with the purchase of any Echo rod, so that is pushing me in that direction so I can save an additional $60-70.
If you go this direction, make sure that the line that you get with the rod has a tropical core. That way the line won't go limp in the tropical heat.

MP
Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

being on disability and if I was going I would go on E-bay and look for even a used rod and reel. good buys that way. your only going for a short time and as long as you wash off your equipment evey day you can get away with a heavy fresh water out fit. i would go with a 9 wt. set up for sure. even a wtf. fresh water line will work in a pinch. you can always up grade later if you plan to do more trips to the salt.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..