The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 PM

frdfandc is on a distinguished road
Default New rods!!! YEAH

Just received my 2 new rods yesterday.

One is a St. Croix Rio Santo 8' 4wt 2 piece. This rod is nice for the price. Once it stops raining, I'm going to head out back and practice some with it. Can't wait to get on the streams with this rod.

The other one is a St. Croix Reign 5wt 8' 2 piece - Brand new out of a fly shop in Indiana, IIRC. I put a bid in on Ebay on it, but changed my mind 3 days in on the auction, hoped to be out bid on it, but ended up with the rod as the only bidder. Have been thinking about putting it back up on the block to get the 6 wt I want.

If I decide to sell the 5 wt. I'm going to pick up another Rio Santo in the 9' 6wt flavor. Good pair for the stream and ponds/lakes.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New rods!!! YEAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
Just received my 2 new rods yesterday.

One is a St. Croix Rio Santo 8' 4wt 2 piece. This rod is nice for the price. Once it stops raining, I'm going to head out back and practice some with it. Can't wait to get on the streams with this rod.

The other one is a St. Croix Reign 5wt 8' 2 piece - Brand new out of a fly shop in Indiana, IIRC. I put a bid in on Ebay on it, but changed my mind 3 days in on the auction, hoped to be out bid on it, but ended up with the rod as the only bidder. Have been thinking about putting it back up on the block to get the 6 wt I want.
8'4wt is my favorite kind of fishin!!! That means dry flies! Let us know how you like it after you get it wet a few times.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 PM

frdfandc is on a distinguished road

I'm picking up a few things at the store this weekend, including my license. Can't wait.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I think you'll be pleased with the Rio Santo.

I bought a 4pc 6wt this spring to keep in my truck as a backup/unplanned opportunity rod and I'm pleased with it. The rod isn't cosmetically perfect, but it's fully functional.

I've used and lightly abused it on several trips so far (the abused remark refers to such things as lifting a smaller (12-14" trout) fish with the rod just to see if it would take the punishment) and so far it's undamaged. I've overlined it 2 line weights on a couple trips in high wind so I could roll/spey cast and it worked as expected (got the cast out, but the rod was obviously overloaded).

One thing that caught my attention on one of my first trips was a "shiny line" in the wrap at the butt of the second (the grip section being the first) rod section. I thought at first it was a crack in the rod or epoxy, but it was the tag ends of the thread under the clear epoxy. Closer examination showed the same phenomenon on a few other wraps. Indoor lighting didn't reveal the bright spot, but bright sunlight makes it show up clearly.

Now if I could only get weather to fish the creeks I could test it on some larger fish (hopefully). So far the fishing has been limited to ponds and lakes and the target has been panfish and a few stocked trout.
Flood warnings again this weekend, so the wait continues.