The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 AM

luked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: fly rod for the wife? need some ideas?

after reading all the replies over again....i think i will look a little harder at the TFO rod for the Casting for Recovery program....she would like that as will since it is a big thing for her as well...we have bought quite a few things that are tied in with Breast cancer programs and i think she would like that as well.....i dont think she is too picky as far as colors go just want to get her interested in it really and thought it would help but i think she would like the TFO rod as well....and after thinkin about it...i would much rather get her a rod that would last her a while and be a better rod anyways....and with the case and line that someone earlier posted about that will help as well i think...so i think i am going to go that route
Old 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

A little more money, but not a whole lot to the TFO...check this out:

Elkhorn Fly Rod and Reel -

I am not sure, but I think the price is rod & reel.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

If you want to hold down the initial expense, you might want to consider one of the TFO NXT outfits - rod, reel, line, case, etc. for $200. Could be a starter to see if she likes it, then upgrade her to the Casting for Recovery and use the NXT for your daughter to get started.

One great way to get them started would be to take the 2 day fly fishing class at Bennett Spring from Jim Rogers. In one short weekend they will learn all the basic equipment, knots, flies, how to read trout water, how to cast and appropriate fly fishing courtesy. Depending on the class they may also get a decent entry level fly rod & reel with fly line. They would also practice several types of casting, all taught by Jim Rogers, a Master Fly Fishing Instructor.

I have had two female family members take the class and they both caught trout the next time I took them to Bennett Spring.

P.S. - You get to go fishing while they are in class!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with MP on the Scott A3; probably in a 9'0" 5 wt.

With my wife I've gone in a slightly different direction; she likes pretty things.

So, after a very basic "starter" outfit from Beans, just to see if she liked fly fishing at all (total Beans outfit was $75.00 and it included a reel and line! - frankly, I still practice cast with that rod; which is an 8'6" 5 wt! - it's not a bad rod at all and a great back-up rod, in case you accidentally put your primary rod out of commission ), I got her a Winston BIIx 8'6" 5 wt. and an Abel 5N reel in Brookie colors, lined out with Sharkskin. She loves it!

Pocono
Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I guess there are three schools of thought on getting a spouse started:

#1 - Buy a really entry level (low cost) rod with the cheapest reel possible to see if the spouse likes to fly fish before you spend any significant amount of $$.
Pros: Avoid spending a lot of money on a rod/reel that may not get used, or not get used much.
Cons: If you get the spouse low quality gear their initial learning curve may be more difficult/longer, and they may not enjoy fly fishing (possibly dropping sport)?
Note: If spouse does not like fly fishing, you can always sell the gear on eBay or Craigslist.

#2 - Buy the spouse a decent Upper-Entry-level to Mid-level rod/reel (range of TFO or Reddington to Scott A-3), hold $$ cost down to a reasonable level.
Pros: Providing better gear may make success of spouse enjoying fly fishing higher since they will have good gear to get started. Also you can avoid having to buy an upgrade in a very short timeframe, mid-level gear may be all they need for years to come.
Cons: Have to lay out more $$ to get started
Note: If your spouse does not like fly fishing you can keep the rod/reel as a backup - do you want to use the low-cost gear, or decent mid-level gear?

Personally I subscribe to the 2nd school of thought - bought my wife a TFO Pro 8'6" 5wt with an Orvis Battenkill Barstock reel and some decent fly line. Not expensive gear, but not cheap stuff either. She attended a 2-day fly fishing school, and has enjoyed fly fishing and catching trout for several years - still using the same original gear. If you arrange for casting lessons along with decent gear, you have the best chance of having a spouse or child learn to enjoy the sport!

#3 - Buy the best gear available
Pros: If she does not like fly fishing - YOU get to use the gear!
Cons: $$ Ouch! $$
Note - More power to those who want/need/can afford really expensive gear, keep buying as we all benefit from a strong fly fishing industry and the research and development that goes into supporting high-end gear.

Side note: I will not be buying $600-$800 rods or $300-$500 reels to outfit my spouse - at least not until I win the lottery and I can afford that kind of gear for ME!

2nd sidenote: Based on my knowledge of ME - I absolutely did NOT try to teach my wife how to fly fish (obviously since I am still married!).
Old 03-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Brewmaster! if my wife wanted to fish I would lend her one of my rods...my Scott A2 9' 5wt which is one the easiest rods to cast I've ever seen.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Like Jbbfly suggested, my wife used one of my rods when she began. The advantage is
that she wasn't married to any single rod. Turned out she preferred a faster
action rod, and a longer length than I expected. I don't know how many beginners get frustrated with a particular rod, and then give up. Have her
try your Flight, and then try something a little softer at the local shop.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:07 PM

luked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura about

Well here is what im doing......one of the members here had an orvis Clearwater 2 rod for sale in the classifieds so i bought it......gonna go this weekend and try and get a reel and line for it...not nothin fancy just normal stuff will prob go with a hobbs Creek reel from Bass Pri and some Rio line....ill let her use it and see if she likes it and if so she can use it or we can get her a new setup jsut for her and ill still have a backup setup for me....the clearwater rod i got is a 864-4 which is a fast action tip flex but it will at least let her see if she likes it.....got the rod pretty reasonable price wise and will make a good backup for me if she does not like it and not a huge ammount of cash out for me as well....will have less than $200 in a really nice setup that i can use later on as well since she wont be able to go much...we are also looking at going to feathercraft on a Sat that we both have off work and take some of the free lessons they give on Sat morning...i could use some myself so it will be a good win win for both of us
Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
[/COLOR]P.S. I just looked at Redington's website, and the Classic Trout in
9' 4wt and 5wt are both under 3oz! I've owned a couple of Redington rods,
and they were dandy.
I cast a 8.5' 5wt Redington CT today and it really is a great rod for the money. I'd call the action pretty similar to my longtime favorite 490 LL.

Longer rods are ideal for mending and other trout centric needs, but I noticed in your first post that y'all have done some bass fishing. For bass fishing, a shorter rod can be an advantage as they're generally easier to cast accurately, and make it easier to put buggers and poppers back under the branches where you know they're hanging out.

My 8' 5wt St. Croix Avid might be perfect. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Clearwater is an awesome rod! That tip flex thing though...hmmmm, not a big fan of fast rods at all (hides mistakes though)
But, for BASS as Cliff just mention, fast is a good choice for the big bugs.

Now if that Redington is an LL flex...WOW that is perfect!,

Last edited by Joni; 03-09-2010 at 08:01 PM.