The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 AM

falcondriver is on a distinguished road
Default Loomis GL4

I busted my GL4 5wt fly rod!! I loved that rod, but they no longer make it. What do they usually do with a warranty on a discontinued model? Does anyone know of a close match to that rod fr1025 8'6" 5wt...?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Loomis GL4

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondriver View Post
I busted my GL4 5wt fly rod!! I loved that rod, but they no longer make it. What do they usually do with a warranty on a discontinued model? Does anyone know of a close match to that rod fr1025 8'6" 5wt...?
----------------------------------------------
FD
The GL4 rods show up fairly frequently on ebay, you might be able to find one like yours at a reasonable price. Good luck.
Also, calling Loomis to ask them about repair or replacement is another possibility.
imxer

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi falcondriver,

Contact Loomis with a warranty repair. Let them tell you what to do. In most cases rod companies upgrade you to the next level of rod. They may even have spare sections for a GL4. It is according to how long it has been out of production. Just don't let them give you a lower grade rod as a replacement.

Frank
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Right, I was hoping they would have a gl4 on the shelf covered in dust and a straight swap. That rod is not the same as some of their other stuff...definately not a gl3 blank. Ni also have a crosscurrent and the gl4 is nice, not a glx but still sweet. I'll give them a call next week n see what they say. I guess what I need to know is what is the closest thing to my rod that they have on the shelf. Anyone know?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

FD

Have you talked to loomis?

Imxer
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Was the GL4 the greenish or blueish colored slate finish?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Imxer, I have. The replacement rod is an eastfork. I have never seen or used on. I know many people dislike the gl4 but I liked it. Should recieved the new one anyday.

The gl4 was green.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM

FD,

Sounds like you did OK to me. The Streamdance "Metolius", a good rod, was dropped from the Loomis line and I believe was replaced with the Eastfork. There is a review of the Metolius in the forum.
The Eastfork should be faster and stiffer than your GL4, something that might not appeal to you.
If not, the GL4 's show up on ebay quite often. Would expect a favorable turnover for you.
Let us know how you like the Eastfork.

Imxer
Old 05-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

where did your rod break?
I have a 9' 5wt GL4 that I broke the tip on, only about 2" off the tip. I've had it in storage since. I might be willing to help you out if your interested.....

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

can you cut them a cheque for a few hundred dollars and get one of those GLX rods?
is that an option at all?