The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM

drnihili is on a distinguished road
Default Lesser known brands

I'm still looking for a rod to replace the one I left at the lake. Money being tight these days, I'm looking for a bargain. So I've been scanning for lesser known brands, ones that are priced below there performance and which can be had cheaply on Ebay because they aren't famous brands.

So far I'm looking at the Albright A5, Echo Classic, and March Brown Hidden Water. I've been pleased with my son's Flextec CRX88, but I'd like something different just for the sake of variety. I'm mainly looking at 5wt, but would take a 4 or maybe a 6 if it were a good enough deal. It must be at least 4 pieces and ideally 8'6". I'm flexible on the length and weight, not on the pieces.

Does anyone have any comments on those brands, or recommendations about other brands/models I should keep an eye out for?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lesser known brands

We have had several good comments on the Albright A5 from members in the past. Last year they had a great sale going on but when I got on their web site most of the rods were sold out. Dorian.Ducker a member of the forum has an A5, if he doesn't see this thread you might PM him and ask his opinion.

Larry
Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

TFO rods "The poor man's Sage"
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM

For some reason I'm not a fan of TFO. Can't say anything specific against them, but everyone I've handled has left me feeling "meh". I guess there's no accounting for taste. Beyond that, I seldom see them on Ebay for much below what I can buy them for retail. Part of that is because there doesn't seem to be as much retail markup for them, but I think they're also becoming more of a known brand.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Google up Grey's. It's a Hardy owned company. There's a few on sale now and for the price, I'd take one over an Albright anyday. Echo is a good rod and March Brown is good also.
Greys G-Series Fly Rod - CLOSEOUT : Fishwest Online Fly Shop
Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I have a St. Croix Imperial that was under $200 bucks with a lifetime warranty. I like the way it fishes, light too.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 PM

I'll keep an eye out for Grey's. Unfortunately it seems their lower models are only 3 piece, and for packing reasons I need at least 4. Their upper models come in 4-6 pieces, but of course those aren't on closeout. I'll keep an eye out on the bay for a deal though.

A St. Croix Imperial is what I left at the lake. Very nice rods. I've been looking at an Avid for around 180, but to be honest that's stretching my budget. Beyond that, I have an itch to try something different, all I've ever owned are St. Croix. My ex ended up with a 4/5 and a 5/6 when I had the good sense to leave her. I liked them well enough I got another to replace them. But now that it's gone, I'm thinking about branching out.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Does anyone know much about Scierra?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 PM

crashfromboston is on a distinguished road

i have a pac bay 9wt blank i bought, and it made one of the best rods i have had the chance to cast.. and paid a fraction of the big names..
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Which blank? I've also been looking at some rods constructed on the Rainforest II blank.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfromboston View Post
i have a pac bay 9wt blank i bought, and it made one of the best rods i have had the chance to cast.. and paid a fraction of the big names..
I have a PacBay Rainforest 8wt. The discontinued IM6, not the "II" IM7
I use it more than any other rod I own. If the "II" is a better blank then it would make an outstanding rod