The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 PM

battnkll07 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for advice on a new rod

I am out and about looking for a new fly rod i am looking for a 8'-9' 4wt 2 piece rod. My price range is ($0-$325). I have spent some time casting some rods the past week i have to order them from places try them out and if i dont like them i have to send them back i am on the second one now and i see this could get exspensive. Right now i have the sage flight 9' 4wt 2 piece, it is kinda stiff and i am not sure if i like it yet i have always fished medium action. Although a 4wt it is as big as most 5wt's if not 6 wt's not what i think a true 4wt should feel like. Any opinions on that? Other rods i have in mind are the Orvis TLS power matrix, st croix legend ultra, Winston vapor, st croix imperial, Orvis T3 if i can find one in my price range. I have cast all of those rods but the winston i am trying to do my homework first. Any of you out there that have fished any of these rods if you could let me know what you think about them or any other rods you think i over looked. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

While i am on this rant which i apologize for i was wondering what flex you think nymphing in medium sized streams using an indicator and a czech style 2 nymph rig is best? I usually am on light tippets most of the time as well
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice on a new rod

First welcome hereI advise you a 9 or 10' medium fast rod for nymphing which are better to control the drift.I mainly use a Scott A2 9' 5wt and a Cortland Brook 10' 4wt both with a 4wt line to fish on sight(with light nymphs) and I'm really pleased with them.They're both 4 p rods ...far easier to put in your boot.A friend of mine has been using a 10' Orvis PM for many years it's a great rod too for czech nymphing.I think you can easily find a pretty good rod under $325.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The reality about nymphing is that you really aren't doing a lot of overhead casting. Most of the time you are just picking up a hanging line and flicking it upstream. A medium fast rod might be the ticket for you because it will help you cast an open loop upstream. An open loop is prefered because there is less chance for the indo-bobber, weight, and multiple flies to tangle up.

A rod series that is gaining popularity is the Greys Streamflex. The cost will run from $230 to $300 depending on the rod you choose. This rods' actions are medium fast. The 4 weight Streamflex is available in 3 sizes: 8'6", 9', and 10'. Choose the length that will best work for you. Actually the most popular rod in the series is the 10' 3 weight.

Of the rods that you listed, I am best familiar with the Winston Vapor. Winston claims the action to be fast, and I can go with that although there are faster rods on the market. It has a very soft tip which will help with shock absorption. The rod tracks nicely when more line gets out of the tip. It's Achilles heel is close in fishing. You may consider uplining 1 line weight to make fish better closer in.

If you really want more of a medium action rod, do some research on the Scott A3 and the TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 03-14-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: dropped in a hyperlink
Old 03-14-2010, 02:42 PM

I am a big orvis fan i bought my first orvis about 5 years ago a clearwater classic which i must say was a way better rod in my mind than the new ones very durable rod. I have since put 4000 trout or more on that rod. It has never let me down. I have found in the past 2 years i just have to work the rod twice as hard as i learn better technique and i have never been one to get wrapped up in all the technology of new rods. Until i fished a T3 last year and my day was alot funner because the rod did alot of the work. If anyone knows where i can get a T3 4wt in my price range please let me know the rod fits my style perfectly. Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 04:55 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Check this out on ebay : 160412558139

good luck !
Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi battnkll07,

I am not quite sure what to tell you. You seem to have cast a few rods but have not found anything you like. You need to make sure when trying Orvis rods you know the flex index of the rod. A 6.5 flex index rod is going to feel quite a bit different than a rod with a 9.5 rating. If you are thinking the Flight 4wt. is too stiff then you should stick with the slower action rods. I don't find the Flight stiff at all. I should say I have not looked at a 4wt. I see you tried the St Croix Ultra and it should have felt somewhat like the Flight.

I think you will like the St Croix Avid or the TFO Finesse rod. Or, you could expand your horizons and get a faster rod like you are looking at and learn to cast it. I know it can be confusing but only you can decide what you like.

Frank
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi battnkll07,

I am not quite sure what to tell you. You seem to have cast a few rods but have not found anything you like. You need to make sure when trying Orvis rods you know the flex index of the rod. A 6.5 flex index rod is going to feel quite a bit different than a rod with a 9.5 rating. If you are thinking the Flight 4wt. is too stiff then you should stick with the slower action rods. I don't find the Flight stiff at all. I should say I have not looked at a 4wt. I see you tried the St Croix Ultra and it should have felt somewhat like the Flight.

I think you will like the St Croix Avid or the TFO Finesse rod. Or, you could expand your horizons and get a faster rod like you are looking at and learn to cast it. I know it can be confusing but only you can decide what you like.

Frank
i am with frank on this one. but i will make a suggestion. Redington makes some really nice rods and i have a rs4 5wt and love it and have casted a 9' 4wt and am really wanting to pick one up. there as super nice rods. the TFO rods are excellent rods and i don't think you would be the least bit appointed in the finesse series
Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 PM

I would realy like to cast a TFO the only shop is 2 hours away though. I have heard so many good things about them. This is probably why i never got wrapped up i rod technology lol.. just cant figure out what is working best. I have had the flight here besdie me messing around with it. The one thing that i dont like all to much is he thicknes of the rod. I want a 12' fish to feel larger and make bringing the fish in a little more work. A sage rep mentioned today that maybe i should buy a 3 weight flight and line it up with 4wt line. Said it would make fighting fish more fun and give me a little bit slower of an action that i am looking for, since i nymph fish 90% of the time it wouldnt put alot of strain on the rod. Any comments to this? makes sense to me
Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM

I made up my mind about 3 weeks ago and i kept the sage flight i was very skeptical about the rod at first but i got the chance to use it this weekend. I took it to the class A section of my home stream which holds mostly native brookies i caught 6 on it. The rod looks a bit big for a 4wt but looks are not all that the rod felt great and handled fish like a 4 wt should i was very impressed with the roll casting as well. I would have to say the biggest downfall to the rod is the undersized stripping guide it is a distance robber. I also had the chance to fish the st croix imperial in a 5 wt 9' 4pc all i can say is wow if anyone is looking for a good rod at a great price i would buy this rod. It cast great it is light weight and is a very beautifull rod it puts the fun in fighting fish. It has a decent sized stripping guide. The only flaw i found is the snake guides dont seem to be of great quality. The 5 wt st croix did handle fish like most 4 wts it was a blast Even with the small stripping guide i could get more distance with the sage. All in all both of these rods are great.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad that you enjoyed the rods. Now you just have to fish them more.

MP