The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 PM

amishfly1005 is on a distinguished road
Default 5 wt switch rods any suggestions

i fish the clarion river quiet a bit and i am looking for a switch rod to fish for smallmouth with. does any one have suggestions ive alotted around $850 for the rod
Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 wt switch rods any suggestions

I have casted a Sage Z-Axis 5110-4, but I have not fished it. I tried it with a 275 grain and 325 grain Skagit Short line. It has plenty of zip to it. It should throw moderately weighted or moderately wind resistant flies.

I also casted a Beulah Classic Switch 5/6. I casted it with the matching Elixir Switch line (a shortened Scandi line) and floating tip. This rod is not quite as fast as the Z-Axis. I am sure with the right line, it can throw bass flies.

Every major brand now has a switch. If you could find a retailer that will allow you to cast some, give them a test ride.

Dennis
Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I haven't any experience with a 5-wt. switch rod, but I do have experience with both a Sage Z-Axis and a ZG Helios, both in 11' 7-wt. switch configurations. I was amazed how much lighter the ZG Helios was. I don't know how much difference the weight would count for if you do mainly two-handed Spey casting, but I can tell you that it made a real difference casting one-handed as I mostly do. I stayed out on the water a whole lot longer with the lighter ZG Helios.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Check out the originator- R.B. Meiser
http://www.meiserflyrods.com/switch-rods.php
R. B. Meiser Fly Rods - Recommended Lines For R.B. Meiser 3/4, 4/5 and 5/6 wt Switch Rods