The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road
Default Steffen Brothers Graphite Rod

There is a lot of discussion about the Steffen Bros. fiberglass rods, but I am wondering if anyone has tried their graphite rods? Sounds like a medium action rod, but how do they fish, and what do they compare to? I am considering building a rod from a blank, but wonder what they are like-- I don't know anyone who has one. For the record, I am mostly a small stream guy who likes fiberglass, bamboo and slower-actioned graphite (love my old Powell rods). Sure, I use fast rods in Alaska but my real love is a small mountain stream, 10" fish and no one within a mile on my streams.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM

fishstick91 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steffen Brothers Graphite Rod

It's been two years since this thread, and information on Steffen Graphite is still scarce outside of their own web site. I thought I would redirect this thread with the same question. Anyone out there have the low down on Steffen graphite?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

OK...just saw this. I have a Steffen Graphite, 9', 6wt. 4pc., that I got back in the early 90's...It was one of the first 4pc, rods, for back packing. I took it into the GTW here in CA. It is a medium action rod that served me well when the winds picked up, I used it mainly for nymphing and some dry fly fishing and streamer tossing...still have it and got it at a very reasonable price.

That rod provided me with a lot of nice Trout, including Golden hybrids up on the South Fork of the Kern River, way up above Monache Meadows...

HERE:

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 AM

fishstick91 is on a distinguished road

I got a chance to fish the Kern a couple years ago further upstream near Whitney. There is nothing more breathtaking in all creation than those hybrid goldens and Kern River rainbows. I'm itching to go back. Missed the chance at a Steffan graphite recently, but it sounds like a noble rod to keep an eye out for.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:44 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

If you would like a few pix PM me with your email. Back when I was building rods, many were on Steffen graphite blanks.

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY