The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 02:37 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Cabelas L-Tech or ECHO Carbon

yes i am asking about another rod comparison haha. i am in the fight to find a new 9' 4wt and am looking to spend $160-$225 on it. i was looking at either a Cabelas L-Tech or a Echo Carbon. i do mostly streamer and nymph fishing, rarely use dries. mostly looking for something that can throw weighted lines or weighted streamers or weighted nymph rigs at a good distance. which do you think is the better buy? the price difference doesn't matter to much if the L-Tech is substantially better.

i also was looking at these rods as well

redington CT
redington RS4
orvis clearwater 2
Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Cabelas L-Tech or ECHO Carbon

any body have any advise?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ab fisher,

I am no where close to a Cabelas so I never get to see their rods. The first models of the Echo rods were very good but I don't know anything about the Echo Carbon. If I was buying a rod in that price range the Redington RS-4 would be high on my list. I think it would work well for the type of fishing you describe.

The Echo Carbon is a Med-Fast rod and the RS-4 is a Fast action rod. The RS-4 has a nice green blank which I like. Take a look here at the NAFFF Market Place. The rod comes with a case and free shipping.

I should state that I would recommend the RS-4 rod even if it was not being offered on the NAFFF Marketplace. Match the RS-4 with a green Galvan and you have a really nice setup.

Frank

Redington RS4
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Redington RS3, and would say that it was a nice rod for what you intend to do. If the RS4 is anything like it, it would work just dandy. Their warranty is unconditional lifetime, and if they run out of RS4 rods, they'll give you at least the equivalent/next step up (I asked ). No experience with the other rods you listed.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi ab fisher,

I am no where close to a Cabelas so I never get to see their rods. The first models of the Echo rods were very good but I don't know anything about the Echo Carbon. If I was buying a rod in that price range the Redington RS-4 would be high on my list. I think it would work well for the type of fishing you describe.

The Echo Carbon is a Med-Fast rod and the RS-4 is a Fast action rod. The RS-4 has a nice green blank which I like. Take a look here at the NAFFF Market Place. The rod comes with a case and free shipping.

I should state that I would recommend the RS-4 rod even if it was not being offered on the NAFFF Marketplace. Match the RS-4 with a green Galvan and you have a really nice setup.

Frank

Redington RS4
thanks frank i have an RS4 5wt and really like that rod and was going to go with that if i didnt get any feed back on the others i picked up the echo carbon adn a redington CT the other day but was going to return one of them for an RS4 instead.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM

troutbum251 is on a distinguished road

I own 2 L-Techs and love them. I have a 8'6" 5wt and a 9' 8wt. They are very light and cast very well, I have had absolutely no problems with either rod. The 5wt pulls in 20+" Landlocked Salmon with out a problem. The L Tech is comparable to my Sage Z-Axis. They are the BEST rod for the money. Obviously if you spend 600-700 on a real high end rod like the Z Axis, BIIMX, or a Helios your going to get a better rod but you don't need to empty your bank account to get a great performing rod.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I was looking at the L-techs in the catalog the other day and I noticed something. Unlike some other skeleton-ized reel seats like the Orvis Helios,

the L-Tech's reel seat

is two completely separate pieces. If the epoxy holding the lower part gave out, your reel could easily drop off and smack a rock or descend to bottom of whatever body of water you're fishing.

Due to Cabela's great warranty, I'm sure they'd fix the problem, but it would be an awfully annoying thing to have happen while fighting a fish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.