The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 AM

tanglefoot is on a distinguished road
Default 13 foot crappie rod for flies?

I recently bought a 13 foot crappie rod for $5. It has just one eye, at the tip, and a couple of brass things to wind line around there is no reel mount.
I am wondering what this would be like as a fly rod with a bunch of eyes mounted and reel lashed on???
Oh yes it is telescopic in 4 sections.
Seems to me it could be an awesome rod?????
Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13 foot crappie rod for flies?

I've seen them at Dick's. I think they're made by Shakespeare. You will lose the telescoping feature if you put guides on it. You will have to figure out what line weight will work on it, but it should work.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:26 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

google tenkara, or do a site search here.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a rod kind of like that. It's 15' telescopic, 4 section with a guide at the end of each section. The tip section also has a guide that slides on a tube so it fits about half way up the section. It has a reel seat that is an adjustable flat metal clamp down type. It's wrapped on with thread like a guide. While I have never used it for flies, I see no reason why you couldn't. I use a flu-flu type jig I tie on a insider tube jig head that weighs less than many flies I use for Crappie. They are really good for retrieving things fron trees. I have probably used it more for that than anything else. It has more than paid for itself getting stuff back from trees I could not otherwise reach.

I also have a couple of 15' spey rods I suppose I could put a Crappie fly on.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:27 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

That sounds like the dapping rods used in the UK.