The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default redington predator or ross fly stik?

i am looking to be doing some striper fishing this fall for a wide range of sizes from 6-10 pounds or so and am looking to pick up one of these rods to do so along with some small and large mouth bass fishing and carp fishing this summer. i have casted the ross but not the predator yet and was wondering what you all thought of these rods? what wt should i get for stripers?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: redington predator or ross fly stik?

You should notice that the Redington will have a faster action than the Ross. Whichever one feels more comfortable for you is the one that you want. As for line weights, I would choose the 8 weight due to the sizes of flies that you may throw.

Cliff is a Predator owner. He can probably give you more of a description on the rod.

MP
Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
You should notice that the Redington will have a faster action than the Ross. Whichever one feels more comfortable for you is the one that you want. As for line weights, I would choose the 8 weight due to the sizes of flies that you may throw.

Cliff is a Predator owner. He can probably give you more of a description on the rod.

MP
Yup. I tried the 6wt in both and liked the Predator much better. There's a review on here you could search for.

I agree that the 8wt is the better way to go.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:44 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Yup. I tried the 6wt in both and liked the Predator much better. There's a review on here you could search for.

I agree that the 8wt is the better way to go.
cliff i just took a look at your review, good review. in there it mentioned you would be trying some different lines to find the best fit. did you ever find the best line for the predator? i was looking at getting an allen & co cassette reel adn a SA streamer express line and a shark skin line.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think the Sharkskin Magnum in matching line weight is pretty perfect for my tastes, but I know Rio designed their Outbound Short line specifically to match up with them. I think the SS Magnum is .5-1 wt heavy, and the Outbound Short is 2 wts heavy, so they'll affect the rod's action differently.

I've not tried it with a Outbound Short, so I can't really comment on that matchup. To me the SSM is a perfect mix of feeding line quickly for quick casts, but not getting mushy on longer tosses.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

You won't be disappointed with the SA Sharkskin line...I have the Sharkskin Stealhead Taper on a 8wt Sage and it is slick as hell through the air and guides on the rod.