The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 PM

atxflyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Clearwater II Go/No-go

I'm new to this site and to fly fishing in general, and you guys have already been very helpful. So, thanks!

I've been looking pretty hard at the Orvis Clearwater II 9' 5-weight with BBS reel outfit, but have heard mixed reviews here. One guy uses it for his clients and really likes it, another said he was disappointed in the finish, particularly that is chips very easily.

So, is this a good rod or not? I'm a beginner, but I don't mind spending a little more money for a rod that I can continue to use as I get better. Am I better off getting the St. Croix Avid with Three Forks reel from Cabelas? The only downside of that is that I get less reel.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Orvis Clearwater II Go/No-go

atxflyfish

I believe I'm probably the guy who has them as client rods you refer to. I have had no issues with the finish chipping on my clearwaterII 6wt's. If I did they would go right back to Orvis for repair or replacement. I have use Orvis gear for the majority of my fly fishing for 37yrs. Broken numerous rods in numerous ways, everyone has been repaired and a couple have been replaced with no hassle and no questions. I think the clearwaterII will be a great rod that you can enjoy for many years.

As for the other rods you asked about I have no experience. Don't know how their customer service is. I'm sure other members of the forum will help you in that respect.

I do strongly urge you to cast the rods in question before you purchase. Actually casting them will give you a sense of which you like best for your casting style. Fly rods are like shoes, try them on before you buy them!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I will agree with Dave as to the outstanding support from the Orvis company. I purchased my first Orvis fly rod in 1979 and since then have acquired 5 other rods from them. You can't go wrong with Orvis.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 PM

atxflyfish is on a distinguished road

Great, thanks guys. I've read some posts really trashing Orvis as a company, so it's good to hear that.

I'm thinking a medium-fast action is what I'm looking for since I'll be fishing anything from panfish to largemouth. How would you describe the Clearwater II action, is more medium than medium-fast?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

The Orvis flex ratings tell you the action. They rank on a scale of 1-10. My 6wt's are midflex 6.0, this puts them in the medium action class. Medium action rod accommodates a broader range of casting strokes. A slow or fast action rod requires a more precise stroke. The tipflex rated rods are fast action rods. They require a short and more powerful stroke. In the ClearwaterII rod series you have your choice of either Mid flex or Tip flex.

Hope that helps!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-17-2010, 08:43 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dave and Ard are very knowledgeable guys, and I respect their advice and opinions. I did own a St. Croix 9' 5wt, and they are great rods. They're made in the USA, and look as nice as they cast. I'd say that rod is about a 7.5 if you were to use the Orvis flex scale. The reel for a trout rod needn't been anything special, so I'd put the better part of my money into the rod. While I have some $250+ reels, I used a $15 plastic reel on a 7 1/2' 4wt because it was very light. You can buy a Scientific Anglers System 1 reel in 5/6 size for $60, and it's both light and functional.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Dave and Ard are very knowledgeable guys, and I respect their advice and opinions. I did own a St. Croix 9' 5wt, and they are great rods. They're made in the USA, and look as nice as they cast. I'd say that rod is about a 7.5 if you were to use the Orvis flex scale. The reel for a trout rod needn't been anything special, so I'd put the better part of my money into the rod. While I have some $250+ reels, I used a $15 plastic reel on a 7 1/2' 4wt because it was very light. You can buy a Scientific Anglers System 1 reel in 5/6 size for $60, and it's both light and functional.
Another option would to purchase an Allen Fly Fishing XL 5/6 reel, Justin has a special for forum members for $48. Don't let the price fool you into thinking the reel can't be any good, it is outstanding. If you are interested in this reel, just PM Justin to ask for the forum member discount!
Allen & Co., Fly Reels

Take a look at the review of the XL 5/6 reel by Frank:
The Fly Fishing Forum - Tackle review - Allen Fly Fishing XL 5/6 Fly Reel

Larry
Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 PM

hegs101 is on a distinguished road

How would you compare the Clearwater II 5wt to a Sage Vantage ?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the opportunity to cast a 9' 6wt Sage Vantage on a stream a couple weeks ago, and it's a fine rod! Its tip feels very light (something I like), and was just a perfect performer. Build quality was superb, and it's made in the good old USA.