The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road
Default First Rod got about $100 to spend

I'm new to fly fishing. Looking to get into the sport.
I have about $100 to spend on a rod, think I'm going with the Allen & Co XL reel.

My buddy who has been fishing here in Montana for a long time says I should get a 9' 6wt 4pc.
Last season I got a raft so I will probably be doing the majority of my fishing out of that.

I've been looking at the St. Croix Reign, Redington Redfly, TFO Sig and I came across a Powell SSL at 50% off for $100. The Powell seems like the best deal but I'm a little leary with their history and wonder about the quality.

Would you guys recommend a 6wt? and what rod would you recommend for $100?

I desperately tried to find a Sage Launch but even on clearance their $150

Thanks for any help
Old 04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: First Rod got about $100 to spend

Hook,

For Montana, yep a six would be fine. As for brand I will leave that to those more in tune with the current market. I will say this, the only bad fly rod I ever owned had a broken tip!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi hookworm,

The St. Croix Reign, Redington Redfly, TFO Sig are known rods that people like. The Powell is an unknown. One of our members took a Powell rod to Alaska and regretted his choice. He bought it because it was such a good deal on Sierra Trading Post.

I see the Powell rod on Sierra Trading Post for $99.95. One reviewer said that none of his nine reels would fit the reel seat and he had to change it. He still gave it four stars so I guess he liked it. Are you going to get a warranty on the Powell rod. I think the other rods do have a warranty.

Frank
Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM

Here's Powell's warranty disclaimer.

Every new Powell fly rod (excluding Bamboo and Pit River Fly Combo) is covered by our Limited Original Owner Lifetime Warranty. This warranty is limited to repair and replacement of the rod and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover fire, theft, loss, intentional breakage, modification or customization of the finished rod, or damage during the assembly of a blank into a finished rod. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

It seems like it would come with a warranty. I suppose I could call Powell and ask.

EDIT:
This is the response I got when I emailed Powell.
No the warranty covers that rod for standard warranty fee.

I guess that Powell rod is out.
I also noticed the TFO Sig doesn't come in a 4 piece???? That suxs.

Last edited by hookworm; 04-22-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:39 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Since you are in Helena & have a raft I presume you will spend quite a bit of time [LUCKY] on the MO. If so, a 6wt is an ideal all around choice. I know your friend suggested a 4 piece rod but you might find more value in your purchase buying a 2 piece.
The only advantage I see to a 4pc is convenience when traveling and it sounds like most of your fishing will be in the general area.

There must be a lot of used rods bouncing around in the Helena area. Usually buy mine off ebay and have never had an unpleasant experience, believe most fly fishermen are honest.

As suggested, buy the best quality rod you can find in your price range.
Best of luck to you.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

take a look at Albright
nice stuff for the money

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:11 PM

What about the Greys GRXi?

The Albright GP looks tempting, wonder why the price has been knocked down so low?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a LOW priced St. Croix Triumph: CLICK HERE

This Diamondback Americana is an excellent rod: CLICK HERE I've always liked my 3-piece rods.

P.S. The Americana weighs 3.4oz according to Diamondback's catalog. My Diamondback rods have always weighed what the catalog states.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:11 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Hookworm,

The Albright rods have been lowered in price as a closeout on last years models; they will be advertising 2010 models shortly at the normal prices.

Smart decision on the Powell - if that is their warranty, is sure isn'tmuch of one! Basically only if you can prove a defect in materials, and pay a fee to get it replced/repaired.

I agree with imixer - if you will be doing most of your fishing locally, then the 2pc rod should not be a big issue. 4pc rods are really great when traveling (especially flying) or if you plan on hiking/packing into remote areas. Otherwise, a 2pc rod can be just great when traveling by vehicle to fish.

Personal experience - the TFO Sig can be had for under the $100 mark on the web - check multiple sites. I have a TFO Sig in 6wt and it is a nice medium-fast rod (leaning a bit toward the medium end). I use it mostly for bass fishing and it works great! Lastly, the TFO warranty is a lifetime "no-Fault" waranty - e.g. if it is broken, they will repair/replace it, regardless of how it got broken. Slam it in a car door and they will honor the warranty. And if it breaks due to any actual defects in materials, they don't even charge the $25 warranty fee. And their turnaround time to replace a rod is one business day, so with shipping it is usually less than a week.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks everyone, you've given me alot to think about.
When I have searched for best bang for the buck rods I see TFO come up the most.

I am pretty tempted to go with that Albright just because I would have less groveling with the wife.

Is there a big difference in a 6wt vs 5wt? I found a great deal on a used but mint conditon setup but it's a 5wt.