The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road
Default did i go wrong in buying this rod?

well got a good deal on a new St. Croix Fly Rod, Triumph, 9' 8 WT
I live and fish most of the time in and around WNC...i fish for trout and small mouth...did i go wrong in getting this rod?
but i do plan to go to clear water fl to fish the flats and back water soon..
i also got a 7-9 reel for it and 8wt line
Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did i go wrong in buying this rod?

An 8 wt will be a fine rod for the flats fishing, it is an overkill for trout. Most people use a 3, 4, 5 or 6 wt when fishing trout, but if you're on a limited budget, what the heck it will do just fine nymphing or throwing streamers. I have never fished for small mouth so someone else will have to speak about that. When I lived in Alaska, I used an 8 wt for most of my salmon fishing.

Larry
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 PM

well do you think i can use a 6 or 7 wt line with this rod?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

It should work fine for small mouth, especially if youre throwing heavy bass bugs or weighted streamers.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

As stated, an 8 weight is overkill for most trout fishing. It can be a good smallmouth rod if you want to use it as a delivery system for rather large flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhoppernc View Post
well do you think i can use a 6 or 7 wt line with this rod?
A 6 weight line? No.
A 7 weight line? Maybe.

The mass of the line is what loads a rod. A 6 weight line does not have enough mass to effectively load an 8 weight rod. A 7 weight line could load up an 8 weight line if you just had a small tuft of yarn on the end of your leader. If you have a large bass fly on the end of your leader, you would not be able to get a good load on the rod.

MP
Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Killer rod for Carp...

You should have them close by and they can be fun and difficult to catch. They spook and you need to get the fly near them without them spooking.

PS... Time for another rod. Every golfer has at least 9 clubs in his bag
Old 04-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Rockhopper,

You will find that under-lining a rod does not work as well as over-lining. You can use a lighter line but you will have to have more line out the rod tip to compensate for the lighter line weight. It also has a lot to do with the rod action. I have found a softer rod is easier to under-line than a stiff action rod. Some rods will handle a broader range of lines. I think you would have a problem trying to use a 6wt line on your 8wt.

Your best approach would be to use your 8wt for Smallmouth and saltwater. It would be a little more rod than you need for Smallmouth but doable. Then when you can get yourself a 6wt, use it for trout and Smallmouth. Save your 8wt for saltwater.

Frank
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM

well this just in,,,I got a refund on my rod,,,so now i get to find a 6 wt rod.
im very happy...
so should i get a 5 or 6wt rod?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

IMHO, I would do the 5wt for the finesse in presenting dry flies. If you get into this stuff and like it a lot, you can get a 7wt to handle bigger streamers in current.

If you are planning on throwing more streamers right off the bat, then maybe the 6wt makes more sense for you.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Great news on getting your money back...

Of course you can't go for CARP then...