The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 05:22 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default 3wt question.

ok so i am looking to get a 3wt rod and was wondering what is a typical trout size that most people would be willing to put on a 3wt? am curious if a 20" brown fighting with the river current would be to big for a 3wt.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 3wt question.

ab,

The rod will take it, it's the leader that may let you down. Actually if I am fishing a river having a strong current and fish in the 20" class I may want to go with a little bigger of a stick. I would take my 9' 5wt or if the water is such that there may be many fish from 14" and up to be caught I may take a 9' 7wt.

When I consider a 3wt rod I am thinking back to fishing small spring creeks and mountain brooks in Pennsylvania. In such waters a three weight seemed appropriate and a big fish would be perhaps 15 - 16". If you have medium to large water and fish in mind think heavier rod. And remember, you ask, I just answered.

Ard
Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 PM

i appreciate the reply hardy. i wont be fishing much for big fish and not much in a fast river more slow moving waters with 14-16 bows adn brooks
Old 04-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Your welcome

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I recently caught a 17" 3 lb rainbow on my 3 wt. What a blast, jumped 5 times and stripped some line a couple of times. I was scared because I usually use 6x tippet on this rig, but it held up. My 3wt is only 7'6" and I bought it for fishing among the trees on small streams in WV. I find myself using that rod all the time regardless. I just fish, if I get a big fish, play it out some on the 3 wt. I don't know what I'll catch. In general I know the average size of the fish where I'm fishing, but I also know you could possibly catch a trout that is up to 5lbs too. You could just get a 5wt. That was my first setup I got.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:26 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The final decision is up to you...You got some great advice from the other guys who answered. My $0.02 worth is if you're mainly fishing small streams for those pretty little Brookies, go with the 3 wt. If you're fishing areas where the fish are normally running bigger, go with a bigger rod...

Dan
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

i have landed kings (30lbs) on my 3wt. Ard is right its the tippet that you should worry about. I own a 3wt winston and its a slow action rod. But lately i have been using my 5wt sage vt2 and fighting fish on that rod is awesome. It actually bends more and is easier for fish to take line out. You would think a slower rod and smaller size would be more....... whippy?, but it turns out this is not the case. So im suggesting that it all depends on the rod. have you considered a 4wt?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thonyb View Post
i have landed kings (30lbs) on my 3wt. Ard is right its the tippet that you should worry about. I own a 3wt winston and its a slow action rod. But lately i have been using my 5wt sage vt2 and fighting fish on that rod is awesome. It actually bends more and is easier for fish to take line out. You would think a slower rod and smaller size would be more....... whippy?, but it turns out this is not the case. So im suggesting that it all depends on the rod. have you considered a 4wt?
i actually alread had 2 4wts, 2 5 wts, and a 6wt but they are all 9' and i want something shorter and smaller for the little streams
Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

My 3 wt is a TFO 7'6" pro series 4 piece pole. I've never fished with any other rod so I can't give a comparison from rod to rod. I bought it because of the warranty. I like it and it doesn't break the bank buying one.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:36 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

30 lb King on a 3 wt? WOW, you must be a pretty good fisherman. Anytime I get any trout over 16" I switch rods because it takes me so long to bring them to net and I've killed a few taking too long to fight them in. I'd like to see what I can do that I'm not doing on these big fish. My 3 wt is an older Sage SLT and fish over 18" have taken me into the backing and even taken my rod apart. I try to finesse them because I'm usually using 7x. Any tips? I also check my tippet frequently after a fight.