The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default tell me about the Sage Graphite II

I picked one up for 70.00, feels like a medium action but was it considered a decent rod in the salt? do they still make it in their lienup maybe under a different name?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me about the Sage Graphite II

I see some GII technology rods come into the shop from time to time. I think the last model made with that blank was the DS from the late '90s. Since then, Sage has been using lighter and quicker blanks.

If you have a rod with a saltwater reel seat, the rod should be fine. It may not have the lighter and crisper feel that the newer technology offers, but it will work.

MP
Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

I've got a DSII 590-2. It does fine for my freshwater needs, but the speed of the blank and the recovery might not give you as much oomph for those double-haul casts.

What weight did you buy? If you've got enough rod, maybe you can under-line it and see if it recovers faster when casting.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:41 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

its a 9# and I have to try a 8# line but with the 9# line it seems okay if its not windy but where its a back-up to my TCX its like one extreme to the other.

it was from Craigslist and the guy I got it from used it as a boat rod and has caught up to 40" stripers with it,,,, not sure but I was worried about the medium action snapping on me if I had to haul in something very big from straight down and that mid section not being stiff enough.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

They made lots of perfectly fine salt rods in the Graphite II era. I think the RPL, RPL+, and SP+ all fall in that time frame.

Whether the wear/abuse its gone through will cause failure is another matter altogether.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.