The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 AM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default st croix imperial v. rio santo

How does the action on these two st croix rods compare on the same line weight and rod length?
Thanks,
barham
Old 05-11-2011, 02:26 PM

peen9305 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: st croix imperial v. rio santo

I have an Imperial (great looking rod and I love the way it casts). One big complaint though. I am having a very hard time finding a reel that fits like it should in the reel seat. I have several reels that I have tried and can only get less than 1/8" of the each end of the reel foot into the hardware. I called st croix, and the guy I spoke with gave me all this BS about having to buy a machined reel. I told him that I have 3 machined reels and none of them fit. He suggested I order a Pfleuger Trion (from their store of course), and he assured me it would fit. I ordered one online and what do you know??? it does not fit either. I took it to the shop where I bought my rod and tried the reel in several other Imperials with the same result. I called St Croix again and are having me send the rod in so the engineers can look at the hardware and make sure it is within spec. So we will see what happens, but I know they are going to have the same problem I did.

My best friend has the Rio Santo and all of my reels fit on that rod. I thought I was doing the right thing buying the Imperial for the lifetime warranty, but apperently I was wrong. I have only used it once because I am more concerned with my reel falling off while I am using it than fishing.

To answer your question though (sorry for the rant) I love the way it casts, and my buddy has said the same thing about his Rio Santo. I personally have not cast it, but I should be out with him this weekend and I will take it for a test drive and see how the two compare.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Imperial, but it's one of the older Made in USA rods. They were discontinued for the about 5-6 years, and then St. Croix made a new rod with the Imperial name. I don't know how they compare, but have only read good things about the new rod. You're likely to find that the cheaper rod has cheaper hardware: cork, reelseat, and guides. I looked over some of St. Croix's discontinued Chinese rods (Triumph and the model below it), and they were hit and miss as far as workmanship. I just looked at St. Croix's website, and the Imperial looks like a very nice rod. The Rio Santo seems to have the same reelseat as the old Pro Graphite, and you could park a car in that space. Many expensive rods have reel seats that won't accomodate many reels. I've had to file down the foot of several reels, and one forum member sent an expensive reel back to Hardy to have a reel foot machined that actually fit in rods.

The Rio Santo is SCII graphite, the same as the old Imperial. The old Imperials were made from SCII graphite, and are moderate action rods. The new Imperial is a blend of SCII and SCIV, and St. Croix says it's a fast action rod. If you can't find them locally, stores like Cabelas will allow you to buy both and return the one you didn't like.
P.S. The Imperial weighs much less than the Rio Santo, at least according to St. Croix's website. I like lighter rods, so
that along with better hardware and lifetime warranty might be worth considering.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM

legalyaker is on a distinguished road

The Ross worldwide series fits pretty well in my "new series" Imperial. My old Okuma SLV didn't fit at all.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Any specific Ross reel?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I have the Rio Santo and I like it. It's a moderate to moderate fast action.
I've had several reels (Pflueger Medalist, Okuma SLV, Okuma Magnitude) on it and no problems with fit.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM

The reel seat hardware on the Rio Santo and the Imperial are totally different.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 AM

legalyaker is on a distinguished road

Basic Ross Flystart.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Talked to another rep from St Croix today and he went through all the Imperials in their store, and found the same problem I am having. He went to their engineer and the are going to fix the problem.

So if you decide on buying an Imperial I would make sure you try to fit a reel on it before you buy it to make sure it is not one with defective hardware.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM

madvalkyrie is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if a Tibor Tail Water will fit on a 5 weight Imperial? I have the reel, the rod is on its way.

Thanks.