The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 12:43 AM

bluefeather is on a distinguished road
Default which would you choose?

Hello everyone,I'm another newcomer to the site and I could use some input on which 5wt to buy for fishing Missouri and Colorado.I'm looking at St.Croix's 8' Imperial and Ross's 8"6" Essence FW.Which of the two would you choose and why?I'm also open to other suggestions as long as they're in the same price range.Thanks all, D.Brown
Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which would you choose?

Bluefeather,
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not going to comment on the models of rods. I will comment on length. You may want to consider a 9 foot rod. It will be more versatile. You will have the length to make long casts when need be. You will have the length for line control when drifting a dry fly or managing an indo-bobber/nymph rig.

Shorter rods are specialized tools for tight situations in which distance and line control are not an issue. If that is the case, you may want to get a lighter rod, such as a 3 or 4 weight. Many shorter 5 weights are quicker than their longer counterparts. Because of that, you may give up some dry fly presentation.

MP