The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about
Default Orvis T3

I just saw an Orvis T3 mid-flex, 8', 3 wt. rod (w/o tube and sock) with a starting price $150.00 on ebay. It is rated like new used one time

I am looking for a rod of this this wt. and length for stream and bluegill fishing and I would like to get some opinions on worth the price, how the action compares to slow, medium, medium fast, etc.

I am also looking at a Cortland Brook in 3 wt. but I would prefer an 8' to 8 1/2' length.

Thanks

Last edited by Dixiejack; 05-12-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis T3

Dixiejack: I have the Orvis TLS mid-flex 5 wt that I use for dry flies or small nymphs and it is a medium action rod. I also have an Orvis T3 tip-flex for streamers and larger nymph rigs. The T3 in tip-flex is a fast action rod. I'm guessing the T-3 in mid-flex would be a nice medium action rod to use for bluegill fishing, but I have not cast one.

Larry
Old 05-12-2010, 05:39 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

T3's should come with tube, other wise might be stolen...store I worked at lost ten a few years ago
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

This is a 3rd hand rod, but I see your point.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

I would say that rod sounds fine for what you are thinking of fishing- 8' or not, but I personally would go for 8.5' instead if possible. That brook rod is supposed to be very nice rod, but I am sure it more expensive (though you mentioned this is a starting price and not a final price for the T3). I agree with sandfly that you should consider the possibility of it being stolen, but then again, how would you really know? People do lose things, misplace them, move, etc. But I always prefer a rod in a tube, even if it doesn't match the rod. If I did somehow find it was stolen, I would personally not make that purchase. Moving on, mcnerney also has a good point in that the flex rating of this rod is just what you want. Though that may not match your casting style, which is why we always say cast it if you can first. This is not the case in terms of an eBay rod anyway. The implication that midflex will be a better rod for your situation is one you should consider- for most it provides a better presentation for trout, though not so important for bluegill. I use a 2wt for bluegill from time to time and it's a blast. Even more fun when I get a Bass on it on the lake. I go into fantasy land and pretend I'm bonefishing