The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 05:31 PM

Sisu is on a distinguished road
Default What reel for Sage Zaxis 8110?

What reel for Sage Zaxis 8110? The Ross Momentum 5 or 6? This would be my only two hander. Would it be a good idea to go with the 6 in case I get a full size spey rod later on down the road? And if so would the 6 be too big for the 8110 switch rod?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What reel for Sage Zaxis 8110?

The way that I look at it is that you may be using a Skagit type head from 525 to 575 grains or a Scandi type head from 480 to 520 grains. Head lengths can range from 20 to 28 feet on the Skagits and mid 30s in the Scandis. If you use the lighter Skagits or Scandis, I would err towards the Momentum 5. If you are going towards the heavier Skagits or Scandis, I would err toards the Momentum 6.

The issue is how much capacity you need. You can get away with the smaller reel if you opt to use a super braid line rather than dacron backing.

To be honest, I don't recall casting the 8110-4 Z. I may have tried it out last year at a Sage dealer demo. Rio recommends a 525 Skagit Short or a 7/8 AFS. Some people have found that Rio's (actually Simon G's) recommendations might be on the light side.

MP
Old 05-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Sisu is on a distinguished road

I would be going with a 525 Skagit short and would like at least 150yds of 30lb backing. The Ross website says 175yds of 20lb backing for a 8/9/10 spey line. I figure with 30lb backing that would put me at about 140 yds. What I don't know is how much more room the 8/9/10 spey line will take up compared to the skagit.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The 8/9/10 line that Rio refers to is the Windcutter II Spey. The reality is that the Skagit Short will take up almost as much space if not more than a Windcutter II Spey. The difference is almost taking the same grain weight of a 52+ foot head and condensing it into 20 feet. The Skagit Short head is pretty darn fat.

I own a Bauer M5sl and had a 425 grain Skagit Flight head and 100 feet of .024 inch Rio Shooting Line. I used to have a 455 grain Rio Windcutter Spey line. My shooting head setup took much more space than the Windcutter Spey setup. I had to remove some backing from the reel.

I really don't think that you have to worry about capacity. Capacities should be close.

If you want to worry about it, consider using a super braid line as backing instead of dacron. My favorite super braid is Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid. At the shop, I go through spools of these. The 55 pound test DSBB has the same diameter as 12 pound test dacron. Also what is great about it is that it is not abrasive like gel spun. Another option would be 35 pound test Cortland's Spectron Green super braid. That has the same diameter as 12 pound test dacron. It is not as abrasive as gel spun.

MP