The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 05:51 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Eagle Claw Featherlight

I have a birthday coming up. Since I have everything I want or need, it tough for my wife, who would like to give me a present. I've learned a while back, it's easier for everyone concerned if I actively participate in the selection process. So the goal, find something I wouldn't mind having, that doesn't cost too much.

I decided to go with an Eagle Claw 6'6" fiberglass rod. $30.00 delivered. I was very impressed with the components and quality of the construction. I took a few pictures before I gave it to my wife so she can surprise me on my birthday. Have to wait until my birthday until I can actually fish it (Dems the rules).

Click the image to open in full size.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-16-2010, 07:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eagle Claw Featherlight

Happy Birthday and good luck with the new rod, I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Old 05-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Sandwich is on a distinguished road

I purchased that same rod over a year ago on a whim; it's a really fun rod to fish with!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:09 AM

boreal is on a distinguished road

Perfect.
I've been eyeballing that rod myself.

There are some jungle-esque creeks I'd like to get into but there's no way I'm waving an 8 or 9' in these places.

Coupled with the fact that I'll most certainly flail the paint off anything I do use this rods size and price have my interest.

Happy Birthday and please report back with how she throws.
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

One interesting quirk, the paper label on the handle lists the rod as a 3-4 wt. The rod itself is labeled as a 5-6 wt.

One other point of interest, the 2010 year model has very noticeable upgrades to earlier models in terms of components. Most notable, the reel seat. 2010 has a wood insert up locking seat, 2009 had an all plastic down locking seat.

Have fun,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-16-2010, 07:40 AM

yetavon is on a distinguished road

Just got one myself...2010 model...came highly recomended from 2 guys that been fly fishing alot longer....and both have rods that cost more alone than all my gear together....they both use this rod for close in tiny streams.... a 0.99 ebay real and some old 5wt line and just a few casts in the yard and I started to fall in love.... off to the lake in the Yak for some serious experimentation....2 bass and several brim later I will say that I would buy another in a heartbeat...
as stated the 2010 model is up dated with the wood real seat.
Darrin
Old 05-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
One interesting quirk, the paper label on the handle lists the rod as a 3-4 wt. The rod itself is labeled as a 5-6 wt.
I have an old one (vintage 1963) that's labeled as a HEH (5DT) but it's really a 4wt and I've also used a 3DT on it.
Fiberglass rods easily handle mutable line weights
Old 06-01-2010, 05:40 PM

As I may have mentioned I bought this for my wife to give me as a birthday present, so I had to wait until this weekend to actually fish the rod.

I wanted the rod primarily to fish in my neighborhood subdivision pond for gills and bass. However I decided to baptize the rod on my home river for a bit of trout fishing.

I wasn't too fussy about what line I slapped on it, so the first reel that came to hand was loaded with a 5 wt. I usually like to fish a fairly short line when trout fishing. I found the rod to be fairly clubby fishing about 20 feet out. So I can't say I'd recommend it as a small creek, close in rod. Since it was a test drive, I started to extend line. I'm pleased to say the rod cast beautifully from about 25 - 45 feet. Nice feel, nice tight loop. The rod did a great job of shooting line.

I reluctantly let my wife fish it for a while. I'd classify her somewhere between a beginner and an intermediate fisher. She really loved the feel of the rod. It fit her casting style well and she had no problems fishing the rod.

The rod was a blast when you get a fish on the end. It's a deep bending rod so plenty of cushion to protect your leader, but had adequate back bone to control the fish. Biggest fish caught went 12" (measured on the built in rod rule), not a monster for sure, but a nice fat fish in fast current and the rod more than held it own.

Bottom line verdict, great deal for $30 for general purpose messing around.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 PM

hoshnasi is on a distinguished road

I have a 7' on the way and I'd like to run the lightest line as possible would WF4F-WF5F work with the 7' and still be decent to cast?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:46 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

The tapers have been redesigned for the 2010 model. These are probably the best eagle claws that have been made to date. The 4 weight will load that 7 footer nicely. Glass rods always have a range of lines that work well due to the nature of their action.