The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 09:30 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Question Listed line weights on rod */*

I'm confused. I know that the first number is supposed to be the suggested weight for a double taper, and the second one for WF, right so far?
ah, so why?
On my Greys its listed at 3/4.
So a DT3 is about the same as a WF4?
Then is a WF2 close to a DT3??

I recall 30' of #3 is about 100 grains, and #4 is 120 grains...what the hell??
so, the stick can handle a variation of +- 20 grains, cool, so why not list it thus (like a sticker that says 100-120) vs. DT/WF? Or is this a dinosaur hang over like "dialing" a phone?

if you can splain it to me Lucy, thanks in advance.
Oh, and I googled for half an hour before giving up and asking here.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Re: Listed line weights on rod */*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
I'm confused. I know that the first number is supposed to be the suggested weight for a double taper, and the second one for WF, right so far?
ah, so why?

so, the stick can handle a variation of +- 20 grains, cool, so why not list it thus (like a sticker that says 100-120) vs. DT/WF? Or is this a dinosaur hang over like "dialing" a phone?

As far as I know, these "split weight rods" are simply what you've described. I don't see too many of these anymore. My buddy had a few redingtons (Red.Fly and Crosswater Series) from the late '90s that were split rated. Since then, I think they've gone to single line ratings.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The rod companies stopped putting the double ratings on rods because they don't want you to know that your one rod can handle multiple line weights

How else are they going to get you to buy both a 5 and a 6 weight ?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Ok, so its less of a "your rod can handle a DT3 OR a WF4" and more of a your rod can likely handle anything a size up or down from whatever the maker says not paying attention to the kind of line?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
ah, so why?

cwg,
Don't try to overthink line technicalities. You will go blue in the face.

Since you wrote this, here is the best explanation that I can give you.

What happens to the grain weight of the line after you get past 30 feet on each line? For a weight forward line either your taper stops there, or the taper starts narrowing down. The increase in grain weight gets smaller as the taper gets closer to the running portion of it. On a double taper, the line stays level. The increase in grain weight stays constant because the line diameter stays constant until the line gets to to back end.

Why are these lines still around? For roll casting, there is still line more line mass to carry its momentum. In a weight forward line, there is less mass to carry its momentum. For mending, it is easier to manage a thicker belly that a thin one because the the extra mass of the line can put more of a load into the rod to get that line out.

MP
Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM

well actually that DID explain it.
thanks
I understand now, more so, why the second number would be for a WF line due to the larger strain on the rod- more mass out etc