VPS or FLi??? rod selection help

Opt

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting either the Sage VPS or FLI 9' 5wt... only problem... there are no shops around me that I can try them out at. Both are priced at ~$250.

I guess what I am really asking is if today's $250 rod (FLi) is as good as or better than yesterdays $400 rod (VPS). I'm an intermediate caster that would like a slightly forgiving rod, that has a good feel to it. Clear as mud huh?

So I'm looking for opinions here. For any of you that have had the chance to try/fish these rods, I'd really appreciate your input on how they compare to one another.

Another rod I was considering is the St. Croix legend ultra....

BigCliff

Reaction score
The VPS series rods are great, but are probably a little heavier and uglier than the newer FLi rods from Sage. Then again, if you want a more traditional looking fly rod, the VPS may be more to your liking. I think you'd be happy with either one, I would just recommend you get a 4 pc, whichever you pick.

Opt

Reaction score
BigCliff-

I'm really not too concerned with how pretty the rod is... this will be the only rod that I will use, so I'd like to get something that performs well, and can handle most situations.

Any reason for a 4 piece over a 2 piece? (other than portability?)

If it were your buck... where would you spend it?

fshfanatic-

Have you had a chance to cast a FLi?? Would be interested in your thoughts between the two.

I'll be picking up a Tioga or a Ross cimarron fly reel for this rod. That one is up in the air also... but was leaning towards the Tioga.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I have casted the FLi. It is a fine rod. But, I truly love my VPS. I have a Galvan OB-3 on it and I have to tell you.. it doesnt get much better than that. My VPS is a 2 piece. Would I like it in a 4? Sure, would I pass one up because it was a 2? No. I own a few 4 piece rods and they are nice. Please dont make a choice based on the number of pieces the rod is.

FowlHabit

Reaction score
IMHO, I think that the FLi is a nice rod well worth it's price. I definately also agree with BigCliff on the 2 or 4 piece issue. I decided to go with a 4 piece rod for my first purchase so I'd have the ease of portability in a car and/or plane and for hiking/backpacking it offers. If you're worried about the difference in thier action, I do not think that there really is a noticeable difference that a beginner will notice between the two.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I on the other hand have not casted a FLi. I've given it a grab and wiggle in a shop, but that doesn't count for much. If choosing between the two, I would probably go with the VPS, because it might be close to the perfect 5 wt. (I would not say its the perfect "trout rod" because i prefer something a bit softer for that, like a 4wt VPS Light, but the VPS is absolute greatness for a 5wt. The additional power will make it great for throwing hoppers, streamers, sinking lines, long casts, weighted nymphing rigs, and for drift boat work. Later on you'll likely get a softer 4wt that will be more of a "spring creek rod".)

Portability is definitely the reason to get a 4 pc rod over a 2 pc. While it is possible to check a 2pc and have it arrive intact, and also possible to put the rod in the plane's garment bag closet, neither one of these options can be relied upon to work out. I actually prefer 3pc rods, and have had no trouble carrying them on, but they are far less common than 4 pc rods are. 4 pc rods also work much better for packing in to a location or riding a bike to a local pond.

Also, due to recent events, we may not be able to carry on rods at all any more, and it is possible to get a 4pc rod into a large suitcase and surround it with clothes for further protection.

Opt

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help :thumbsupu I'll order in the VPS (hopefully they still have it on hand).

I've been wanting to get a better rod for awhile now, most of the waters here are fly only after July 1st because of the Atlantic salmon. Funny thing.... I live within an hours drive of the Miramichi & Restigouche rivers and have only went out for salmon two times in the last six years. 90% of the time I just go close to home for brook trout, and try to hit the run of sea trout when they come up.

Any thought's between the Tioga or Ross cimarron fly reels?

Opt

Reaction score
Welp... she's ordered, only had it in a 2 piece, but that's fine with me. $247 + $19 for 2nd day air.... hopefully I can get it in my hands by this weekend!!!

They do have a 8' 6" 4wt VPS Light in a 3 piece on clearance also, :icon_bigg

BigCliff

Reaction score
I would recommend the Ross Cimarron over the Tioga. I have used them both and like the Cimarron better. I would also recommend checking out Galvan and J Ryall reels in a similar price range, as they are great reels and www.thefullcreel.com can set you up with a great deal on one of those.

That 8'6" VPS light would also be a great rod to add to your quiver. The 9' version of that rod is my all time favorite, but the 8'6" version would offer you a better step down from the 9' 5wt VPS. Those two would give you a fantastic dry fly and nymphing rod set-up.

Opt

Reaction score
scottiecoach-

Not 100% sure on forum rules here in regards to posting external or non sponsor links... but I did PM you the place I purchased it from. I can't vouch for them yet as this is my first purchase from them. They do have a few VPS and VPS Lights on clearance there. (12 different models)

BigCliff-

Thanks for the suggestion on the reels. I thought about getting a 4 wt instead of the 5wt, but thought a 5 would suit my needs a little better. If I could have gotten 2 rods... I probably would have gone with a 4 and a 7wt. With the 7wt for salmon and sea run trout.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Now you've just set yourself up to get a 3wt later on for small trout and panfish. We'll be glad to help you pick that one out too.

On the 7wt for salmon, if you have any pike fishing opportunities up there, i'd get an 8wt as your heavier rod. An 8wt will also throw heavier sinking lines that might be needed to get down to deep salmon in fast water. It also would be a better rod to take along on a trip to the tropics for bonefish, redfish, or to the US east coast stripers. A 3,5, and 8wt arsenal is very versatile.

Opt

Reaction score
Heh.... gonna get me in trouble talking about getting another rod. I haven't even gotten the VPS in my hands yet. (should be here tomorrow) :icon_mrgr XP's are being discontinued after this year.... mmmm 3wt :icon_bigg

BigCliff

Reaction score
The XP's are great rods, but not what I would pick for a 3wt, ever. A 3wt is best suited to small waters and or small fish. The XP is a rocket rod that will cast a very long way and throw very tight loops to beat the wind. If you need long casts, a 3wt is not ideal. If there is lots of wind a 3wt is not ideal. An XP 7 or 8wt rod would be a great choice for salmon and saltwater needs.

Not trying to tell you what to do, I think you'd just be happiest in the long run if you set yourself up with faster/stiffer rods in the upper weights and slower/softer rods in the lower weights.

Opt

Reaction score
BigCliff-

Thanks for the advise on rod selection.

I just received my VPS 590 today. Very pleased with the company I purchased it from...quick shipping, and it arrived in perfect condition. Hopefully will be able to make a road trip and pick up a reel & line this weekend for it.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Opt said:
BigCliff-

Thanks for the advise on rod selection.

I just received my VPS 590 today. Very pleased with the company I purchased it from...quick shipping, and it arrived in perfect condition. Hopefully will be able to make a road trip and pick up a reel & line this weekend for it.
Get the reel and line from Steve (the full creel) get a great price for highend stuff. I dont go anywhere but though him. He has always hooked a brother up.