The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 06:37 PM

Opt is on a distinguished road
Question VPS or FLi??? rod selection help

I'm looking at getting either the Sage VPS or FLI 9' 5wt... only problem... there are no shops around me that I can try them out at. Both are priced at ~$250.

I guess what I am really asking is if today's $250 rod (FLi) is as good as or better than yesterdays $400 rod (VPS). I'm an intermediate caster that would like a slightly forgiving rod, that has a good feel to it. Clear as mud huh?

So I'm looking for opinions here. For any of you that have had the chance to try/fish these rods, I'd really appreciate your input on how they compare to one another.

Another rod I was considering is the St. Croix legend ultra....
Old 08-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: VPS or FLi??? rod selection help

The VPS series rods are great, but are probably a little heavier and uglier than the newer FLi rods from Sage. Then again, if you want a more traditional looking fly rod, the VPS may be more to your liking. I think you'd be happy with either one, I would just recommend you get a 4 pc, whichever you pick.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:59 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I absolutely love my VPS490! It is by far my favorite rod.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:55 PM

BigCliff-

I'm really not too concerned with how pretty the rod is... this will be the only rod that I will use, so I'd like to get something that performs well, and can handle most situations.

Any reason for a 4 piece over a 2 piece? (other than portability?)

If it were your buck... where would you spend it?

fshfanatic-

Have you had a chance to cast a FLi?? Would be interested in your thoughts between the two.

I'll be picking up a Tioga or a Ross cimarron fly reel for this rod. That one is up in the air also... but was leaning towards the Tioga.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Yes, I have casted the FLi. It is a fine rod. But, I truly love my VPS. I have a Galvan OB-3 on it and I have to tell you.. it doesnt get much better than that. My VPS is a 2 piece. Would I like it in a 4? Sure, would I pass one up because it was a 2? No. I own a few 4 piece rods and they are nice. Please dont make a choice based on the number of pieces the rod is.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 AM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road

IMHO, I think that the FLi is a nice rod well worth it's price. I definately also agree with BigCliff on the 2 or 4 piece issue. I decided to go with a 4 piece rod for my first purchase so I'd have the ease of portability in a car and/or plane and for hiking/backpacking it offers. If you're worried about the difference in thier action, I do not think that there really is a noticeable difference that a beginner will notice between the two.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I on the other hand have not casted a FLi. I've given it a grab and wiggle in a shop, but that doesn't count for much. If choosing between the two, I would probably go with the VPS, because it might be close to the perfect 5 wt. (I would not say its the perfect "trout rod" because i prefer something a bit softer for that, like a 4wt VPS Light, but the VPS is absolute greatness for a 5wt. The additional power will make it great for throwing hoppers, streamers, sinking lines, long casts, weighted nymphing rigs, and for drift boat work. Later on you'll likely get a softer 4wt that will be more of a "spring creek rod".)

Portability is definitely the reason to get a 4 pc rod over a 2 pc. While it is possible to check a 2pc and have it arrive intact, and also possible to put the rod in the plane's garment bag closet, neither one of these options can be relied upon to work out. I actually prefer 3pc rods, and have had no trouble carrying them on, but they are far less common than 4 pc rods are. 4 pc rods also work much better for packing in to a location or riding a bike to a local pond.

Also, due to recent events, we may not be able to carry on rods at all any more, and it is possible to get a 4pc rod into a large suitcase and surround it with clothes for further protection.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:12 PM

Thanks for all the help I'll order in the VPS (hopefully they still have it on hand).

I've been wanting to get a better rod for awhile now, most of the waters here are fly only after July 1st because of the Atlantic salmon. Funny thing.... I live within an hours drive of the Miramichi & Restigouche rivers and have only went out for salmon two times in the last six years. 90% of the time I just go close to home for brook trout, and try to hit the run of sea trout when they come up.

Any thought's between the Tioga or Ross cimarron fly reels?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:55 PM

Welp... she's ordered, only had it in a 2 piece, but that's fine with me. $247 + $19 for 2nd day air.... hopefully I can get it in my hands by this weekend!!!

They do have a 8' 6" 4wt VPS Light in a 3 piece on clearance also,
Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 PM

scottiecoach is on a distinguished road

Where is this rod available?