The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default I need a new pike rod urgently, help!

OK, so I got a new shooting head for my 9wt a couple days ago and last night I took it out to practice casting. After casting for about 20 minutes I broke the rod... itwas a 5 piece and it snapped off at the join between the butt and the first guide section. Now I need a neew 8/9wt, I have about $200 to spend... I primarily want to target pike with it, but could also take it west to BC for steelhead as well...

I was looking at the St Croix Imperial and some of the Temple Fork Outfitters rods that are in my range, but I have to say I am a bit freaked out by the way I snapped the rod. So I need something that my shooting head won't snap... any advice?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need a new pike rod urgently, help!

Check to see if your rod has a warranty, many do.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

I'll check... but I have a 4 day trip planned starting Saturday and I need a rod for that!

Edit: just checked, company that made my rod went busto...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

alot of people i know and on here have been saying the reddington redfly 2 that was there backup rod is now used more often than there primary, but they are trout anglers i have never used an 8/9 wt reddington.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few rods that could do the job for you.

Redington RS4 9 foot 9 weight, $189 for 2 piece, $219 for 4 piece
TFO Jim Teeney, $199
TFO TiCr, $229

Sorry, I cannot comment on St. Croix rods.

MP
Old 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi twfitw,

A 9wt head on a 9wt rod should not cause it to break. Maybe that is why there are out of business now. I will second the Redington RS4 in a 9wt.

Frank
Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 AM

Yeah, kinda my thoughts. I still have their 5wt and it has caught me a ton of fish, and hopefully quite a few more. I quickly began to realise another interesting problem that Saskatoon has. It has 2 fishing shops that have relatively small fly fishing sections and that 9wts are not always readily available, so getting a rod on short notice can be quite tricky. Most of the fly anglers here will order rods or pick them up on out of town trips... quite interesting.... makes it particularly fun cos I am 40 miles out of town. But through my new club there is a guy who runs a fly fishing outlet from home and I got hold of him and picked up a TFO 9' 9wt signature series at a great price. So that'll do me for now... but I suspect I will want to try more rods in the future...

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfitw View Post
I'll check... but I have a 4 day trip planned starting Saturday and I need a rod for that!

Edit: just checked, company that made my rod went busto...
Sorry to hear of your problem but.......... what brand was the deceased rod?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Sorry to hear of your problem but.......... what brand was the deceased rod?
It was made by Firefly Angling out of the UK...
Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

twfitw: I have not used the TFO rods but have heard good reports, also you might be interested in hearing the customer support Brewmaster reported on from TFO:

Kudos for TFO Customer Support

Larry