The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Brewmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 12:09 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Kudos for TFO Customer Support

I simply have to recognize the excellent customer service that I received from TFO.

Last week I was fishing through the flooding rivers in Southwest Missouri, and found that a snake guide had broken on my TFO 9' 5WT Jim Teeny rod. I have owned this rod about 2+ years and have fished it a fair amount, but the broken snake guide had never been bent or damaged.

I got home on Saturday so I contacted TFO on Monday morning (5/24), wrote a brief note, packed the rod and took it to the USPS office on Monday afternoon about 4:30PM - the rod shipped priority mail for $5.75 plus insurance. Mail leaves from my small town to go to St. Louis at 5:00PM daily.

Today (Friday 5/28) I received a brand new replacement rod, return shipped via FedEx. There was no warranty/replacement charge (normally $25) since they decided that the snake guide must have been defective.

Summary - a total of 4.5 days to return ship and get a brand new replacement rod shipped back - and NO additional cost to the consumer. TFO make some very good fly rods, AND they really know how to treat their customers.

The only negative was that the shipping tube (a triangular one) was crushed on one end by FedEx. I did not see any damage to the rod, but I called TFO to let them know there could be potential hidden damage just in case it snaps the first time I try fishing with the new rod. TFO said - "no problem, if it breaks just send it back to us and we will replace it again at no cost, and we will take care of resolving the damage issue with FedEx".

TFO = absolutely superior customer support - Thanks TFO!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Kudos for TFO Customer Support

That's great news Brew! I know what it's like when there is a problem with one of your rods. Glad this went well for ya.

Ard
Old 05-29-2010, 12:30 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
That's great news Brew! I know what it's like when there is a problem with one of your rods. Glad this went well for ya.

Ard
Hi Ard,

Yeah - I own several TFO rods, and have previously had to send rods in for repairs due to one problem or another (either operator issues or just pure warranty) and I have always received excellent service from TFO and really fast turn-around time. Usually it takes only about a calendar week or so to receive a new replacement rod. But this time it only took from Monday to Friday of the same week - pretty hard to ask for better suppport than that!

Hope you and Nancy had better luck on Friday afternoon/evening....
Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I haven't had to use any warranty service but this is why I bought TFO rods. Hearing all the good things about there service plus the $25 replacement is a great deal. I broke my first rod but Bass pro replaced it being they have a replacement period on new items. Glad to hear this.

Last edited by jcw355; 05-30-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Here's another TFO owner that was happy to read about your experience with their customer service. No issues to date, but you never know when you might need them.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:07 AM

For anyone with a TFO issue that requires returning the rod for repairs or replacement - I highly recommend calling them first to describe the problem. Twice I have had them say "That sounds like a defect, so don't bother sending in the $25 check - we will just have to return it to you anyway!". This just happened with the broken snake guide, and previously I had part of a cork handle begin to de-laminate.

I have also experienced them returning a warranty check I had sent in with a damaged rod. No explanation, but they replaced the rod AND returned the check. Needless to say I did not complain about the return!

Last, but not least, the first time I sent a rod in for replacement (broke a section while fighting a fish) they replaced the broken section and returned the rod. When I re-assembled the rod the color of the new section did not match the color of the original rod sections, so I called TFO. They apologized for the mistake and said they would immediately ship out a new replacement rod. When I asked if they would cover the cost to re-ship the mis-matched rod back to them, the Customer Service Manager said "Why don't you just keep that for a practice rod, or for a loaner for your kids." 4 years later one of my kids is still fishing that rod!

IMHO, I believe TFO has some of the best customer service and support in the fly rod industry!
finfan170 and basshead like this.