The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 PM

rayjax82 is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy Fly Rod Help

Good evening ladies and gents, I have a question about a fly rod that was passed down to me.

For the last 13 or so years that I have owned this rod, it has spent its life in its case never to see the light of day. I'm starting to get back into fly fishing(and fly tying for that matter) and I pulled this rod out of its case to have a look.

When I first got it, I thought it was something my grandpa made before he died in 1988, he was into fly fishing and that was where I got all my fly tying equipment from. However upon further inspection today I see that it is made by a company called Hardy out of England.

Enough backstory, here are my questions.
1. Can anyone tell me anything about this rod, web searches have netted me nothing however my google-fu is not that strong. I was only able to find out the brand by googling the name. It is a Hardy "The Palakona" #6. It has "Regd Trademark" 8 1/2ft and the code "E/O" printed on the rod. That might be L/O, not sure. I've included a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure.

2. Is this a quality rod? I've not casted with it, frankly I'm afraid to. The cloth that holds it looks and smells old, but the rod is brand new(still has the plastic covering the cork grip. I'm weary of doing anything with it if this happens to be some sort of collectors item worth thousands of dollars. However I've never fished with a bamboo rod before, and I hear they are really nice.

3. Is this is a rod that I can fish with, or would want to fish with for that matter? Is it acceptable for summer run/winter run steelhead? Basically, what are my limits fishwise with this rod if the answer to question 2 is that I would want to fish with this rod.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...5-31171417.jpg

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...5-31171513.jpg

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...5-31171540.jpg

Thanks for your assistance. Tight lines!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hardy Fly Rod Help

The pictures are not a great help but it looks like you have a six weight Palakona in new condition. These are not worth thousands of dollars but it will make you a fine fly rod. I would begin shopping immediately for a Hardy Princess of around the 1980's vintage to use with that rod.

Welcome to the forum, keep the rod and fish with it. Is there an extra tip? If so you are good to go, just treat it like a bamboo fly rod and you will have a wonderful piece of equipment for years to come. Remember , Get That Princess Reel..................

Ard

PS The fish in my avatar weighed 17 lbs and was caught on a 1964 Orvis Bamboo 8wt. So a twenty inch trout is no threat.......

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the help Ard. Looking for that princess as we speak, hope to find one for a reasonable price.

Yes it has both tips and the original hardy soft wrappings. I put the rod together today and noticed that it is pretty difficult to get the rod together. This goes for both tips. Not to mention the male ferrule only goes about 3/4ths of an inch into the female. It was really difficult to pull apart(No I did not twist, I just pulled it straight as you're supposed to). Is this common for bamboo rods of this vintage? I've only ever used graphite rods.

I did rub some paraffin(candle) wax on the male end of the rod. It made it easier to pull apart but still only goes 3/4ths of an inch into the female end. It looks like there is about an inch and a half of male ferrule to go into about an inch and a half of female ferrule. The rod felt pretty solid together, but I'd rather I didn't lose the tip mid cast. But if this is how its supposed to be I won't worry about it.

All in all the rod felt a lot different than my graphites, and I can't wait get some line on it and get a feel for casting it at the park. After that, I'll take it to get some sea-runs on the stilly.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear it! On that ferrule issue, get into the habit of taking the male ferrule and rotating it against the side of your nose. The oil from your skin will provide enough lubrication to facilitate easier joining and disjointing of the rod sections. I have been doing this since I got my first nickle silver ferrule rod.

Watch eBay for a Princess and since your rod is new don't settle for one that is all scuffed up. Get yourself a nice one. Keep in touch if you have any questions or concerns via PM.

Good luck,

Ard

Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few links that might provide additional info:
Fly Fishing History: Hardy Rod Manufacturing Dates

Hardy "The De-Luxe Palakona" - Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods - Welcome to the Classic Fly Rod Forum! - The Classic Fly Rod Forum - Message Board

Fishing: Hardy Palakona Bamboo Fly Rod, Hardy, Palakona

Hardy Antique Fishing Rods, Hardy Vintage Fishing Rods, Hardy Rods

Larry
Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 AM

Wow, that trick worked awesome Ard. I can't wait to get this thing on the water.

Thanks for those links mcnerney. I found out my rod was made in May of 1972. Ten years older than I am

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully I'll have some good stories to share with you all using this rod!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

rayjax82: Your welcome, I hope you enjoy fishing with that rod, it is something to be proud of.

Larry
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator

I don't doubt that you will have tales to tell. Just remember that it is a 1972 cane rod. Always keep it in its tube when it is not in your hand, never lay it down, never leave it leaning in a corner or strung up with tension on the tip................. Let's see, hum, don't over load the rod trying to distance cast (the rod will show you its optimum casting range) and be very careful about minding your casting plane on forward and back casts. Striking the tip with a hook can result in a problem.

There, that will do for a set of bamboo guidelines hoping to ensure that you have this rod for a long time. I would think that the Princess would be about right for the rod. They are 3.5" X 7/8" I believe. I don't recall the exact weight but the rod when strung with line will be tip heavy and so a substantial reel like the Princess or even a St. Aidan would offer some balance so that it lays in the hand well.

Ard

Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 PM

Excellent advice sir, I appreciate it. I have a bid on a princess reel, I also noticed that Hardy is re-issuing the princess, but its a little out of my price range.

The one I bid on is a little scuffed up, but the price is right so we shall see. I also won a pflueger supreme 1878 to tide me over in case I lose this princess. Not many up and I'm on a limited budget at the moment. I've used pflueger reels in the past, and this will get me on the water asap until I find the right priced princess, or overtime starts picking up at work