Tough time setting the hook with a dry, need some help

dsssox13

Reaction score
I have been out multiple times and i am somewhat new to fly fishing. I have been using dry flies and have been getting a lot of hits, but everytime the fish takes it under i try and set the hook and the fly comes flying out of the water right back at me or straight up, hopefully someone can help and i can land some more fish, thanks for your tips or pointers.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
There will be a multitude of responses to this question but I will offer mine now. If you are actually striking hard enough to pop the fly up out of the water you simply need more experience with dry fly fishing. With time and a good number of fish taking the fly you will become more relaxed and refrain from the Bass Master hook set style.

I fished dry flies a lot over the years and found that if I simply allowed the fish to grab the fly and re-submerge 90% of the little buggers hooked themselves and all I had to do was gently raise the rod tip therefore increasing the angle of the line / hook to the fish as it was attempting to return to its feeding station. The phenomenon of focusing much of your attention on a floating dry fly in anticipation of a strike from a fish is similar to the effect of winding a spring and when the ever surprising splash happens at the terminal end of your tackle very often we are startled by it and almost jump, thereby twitching the rod back way too hard.

Allow the fish to take the fly and try to react as if you have been doing this for a large part of your life. Calmly raise the rod and feel for the resistance. If it is there then quickly reel any extra line onto the spool and begin to play the fish as it will be hooked. Many times you will net a fish and find that the hook is barely in the lip. When you realize this, thinking back to all those hard strikes you have made will perhaps suggest that you in fact pulled the hook from the fish. Anglers often say "I missed him" when in fact they had the fish on and lost the bond between the hook and fish by over reacting.

Ard

dsssox13

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help, ill try that out. Seems like your answering all of my questions haha, thanks again. Hopefully ill be able to post some catches on here soon.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
dsssox13: I'll second what Ard has stated. After a long winter of no fishing, the first time out, I have to remind myself to just gently tighten the line up. It is just way to easy to over react and pull the fly completely out of the fishes mouth.

Larry

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ard gave a great reply;)I would say striking a bit late is better than too early:D....feeling relaxed is very important too...last week I "missed" a few fish when arriving on a spot because I was too excited to see some dace rising...as if I had never caught one in my life:DI was like a beginner...that's why I never get tired of flyfishing;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help, ill try that out. Seems like your answering all of my questions haha, thanks again. Hopefully ill be able to post some catches on here soon.

You don't have to stress over having fish pictures. :sweatingb If you post to tell me something is working I'll take your word. Save the pictures for when you have everything else under control. :cool:

Ard

FrankB2

Reaction score
In addition to Ard's always wonderful advise, are you fishing on a stream? It's much easier to pull a fly of any sort out of a fish's mouth if you are upstream of your fly. Casting upstream, or across the stream, to a fish makes hooking them much easier. Sharp hook points are a HUGE help. Try dragging your hook point across your thumbnail. If it skids across the nail without catching, it's too dull. I tie my own flies, and use quality hooks, but check for sharpness before and during fishing.

My wife suffers from premature hook-set-itis. :D We were fishing little hopper patterns this past Monday, and she'd jump a bit each time a fish took a swipe at her fly. It's always exciting to see topwater action!

Billy Connolly Teaches his Nephew Dry Fly Fishing (R-Rated for language):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lh9fjEUhB0]YouTube - Billy connolly - Fly Fishing[/ame]

Last edited:

cketh

Reaction score
A lot of the time, I don't even do anything with my rod hand except lift the tip with my wrist. Sometimes that combines with a little tug with my left (line management) hand.

imxer

Reaction score
Instead of lifting the rod tip, try setting the hook by moving the tip parallel with the water surface.
Am in agreement with those telling you not to "overset" the hook.

Best of luck!

von behr

Reaction score
In addition to Ard's always wonderful advise, are you fishing on a stream? It's much easier to pull a fly of any sort out of a fish's mouth if you are upstream of your fly. Casting upstream, or across the stream, to a fish makes hooking them much easier. Sharp hook points are a HUGE help. Try dragging your hook point across your thumbnail. If it skids across the nail without catching, it's too dull. I tie my own flies, and use quality hooks, but check for sharpness before and during fishing.

My wife suffers from premature hook-set-itis. :D We were fishing little hopper patterns this past Monday, and she'd jump a bit each time a fish took a swipe at her fly. It's always exciting to see topwater action!

Billy Connolly Teaches his Nephew Dry Fly Fishing (R-Rated for language):
YouTube - Billy connolly - Fly Fishing

Frank,

I've always enjoyed Billy Connolly. That video is priceless...very educational as well.

Cheers,

-VB :icon_cool

hoshnasi

Reaction score
Combo. lift the tip, strip strike and if thats not working. Go to a smaller fly size.