The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Hardy Streamflex Vs the new XF2 what are the differences? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/140045-hardy-streamflex-vs-new-xf2-what-differences.html)

fredy 05-21-2011 05:06 PM

Hardy Streamflex Vs the new XF2 what are the differences?

I'm considering a 10' 4wt and was wondering if there really are any differences between the old and new?

TIA,
Fredy

jpbfly 05-22-2011 11:08 AM

Re: Hardy Streamflex Vs the new XF2 what are the differences?

I only tested the old one for a few minutes...but got a 10' 5 wt XF2 and I've been testing it for a few weeks:)I should post a review about it soon....I can already tell you I use it with a dt4f and it works great.;)You could have a look at the Cortland Brook 10' 4wt too...I'm very pleased with mine too.

fredy 05-22-2011 07:23 PM

Thanks for chimming in. Yeah, I was wondering if there was much difference in the action between both rods.

Fredy

burk48237 05-24-2011 07:53 PM

There should be no difference in action between last years and this years rod in action. The changes were in the grade of cork in the handle and the reel seat was updated with better componants. They cost more because all far-east production went up in price.

fredy 05-24-2011 08:02 PM

Are you saying the Blanks are the same with no chnages for 2011? Just the components?

burk48237 05-25-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredy (Post 260924)
Are you saying the Blanks are the same with no chnages for 2011? Just the components?

They didn't mention any changes to us. They did add several new actions, the Streamflex plus for instance is totally new and a killer rod in a five weight. The componants are improved considerably.

crittergetter 05-25-2011 10:58 PM

I am a Streamflex fan I have a 10' 5wt and love the "Connected" feeling I get. A tech I talked to about a real they were fixing is that later this year we should see the new "Nano" technology in a Nymphing 10' rod. I hope that will drop the weight and keep that "Connected" feeling. Is this the XF2? or is there another model later in 2011?

Crittergetter

burk48237 05-26-2011 09:28 PM

It would be a 2012 model shipping in maybe Sept. In 2011, the Hardy Zenith and Proaxis got the Sintrex technology. They are awesome rods. I know some more Hardy Rods are coming in 12, but I'm not sure if Greys is going to see the technology yet. It's a pretty detail oriented blank construction process.

crittergetter 05-28-2011 01:02 AM

Thanks Burk... I will keep my eyes open. If you ever get a chance to try the Grey's 10' Streamflex for the money I think it can hold it's own against $600 to $800 rods. And, if they make the same taper with this new technology I will be a big fan (especially loosing the weight). The hope I also have is they keep the price point down as well. I got my 10' Nymphing rod for $125 used on Ebay. And for the first time I learned you can actually feel a "BB" bouncing on rocks.

burk48237 05-28-2011 12:43 PM

I was talking to a couple of the rod gurus at Hardy today and I stand corrected.The new Streamflexs have higher modulus blanks and improved actions. My bad, it's something that wasn't highlighted in our workbooks, and I didn't get a lot of time with the previous generation rods. I do know that the five weights fish with some of the best rods I've owned at about half the retail.