The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Pick my 7wt

I am looking for a 7wt to use for bass and and to use for shad during the spring run. For shad I will be using a full sink 250-300 grain line. I was thinking on looking for a ST Croix Avid or Legend, or used Loomis Cross current. Any others I should look at. I just sold my Sage RPL+ 6wt that just didn't suit my casting style.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pick my 7wt

What's your casting stroke? Fast? Medium fast?

MP
Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

It leans more towards the Fast. I have to talk to myself to slow down and let the line load.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot comment on the rods that you listed. But here are some rods that I have casted that could work for you.

Premium
Sage Z-Axis 790-4
Scott S4 907/4
Winston BIIMx 9' 7 Weight

Price Point
Sage Flight 790-4
Winston Vapor 9' 7 Weight
Redington CPX 9074

MP
Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm concerned, all of MP's suggestions are good ones. The Redington CPX is, in my opinion, a very good rod. I still fish its forerunner, the CPS in an 8 wt. for Stripers and love it.

But, if you like fast action, then have a go at a Sage 9'0" TCX. It's the 7 wt. that I use for Smallmouths and it doubled very well for me this Spring fishing for Bones in the salt.

All the line speed you could ever ask for and not at all "clubby", as it's predecessor, the TCR, was. It's pricey, but it's a great rod that's light, accurate and can show you your backing without much effort.

Pocono
Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 PM

MP
Thanks for the recommedations. I hope to get out and try to look at some of those rods. Hard to find the Redington and Scott in my area. I have heard a lot of things about the Winstons. I have never cast one if them either.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

What about the Sage Bass series 7w would be the Bluegill rod. For the price and line they don't look bad. Also Redington has a bass rod in the Predator. 6,8,9 and 10W for $199 there's been great reviews of the Redington too. I'd like to get a 6w for stillwater fishing. I'm a gear wh0re anyway.
But they might be too short (7'11") for what you want.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 PM

I ended up picking up a St Croix Avid 9' 7 wt. I had thought I would pick up something else but I was offered a new rod for $95 from a guy that was going to take up fly fishing but never got to it. For the price I could not let it go. I have the same rod in a 5 wt and it has severd me well. Should make a good small mouth rod, with the med action it should work out well as my backup steelhead rod for the Erie tribs also.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Avid is a good rod...action is a bit slow, tho.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tracker 12,

Avid is a very good rod for stream fishing but not my choice for tossing a full sinking line. You will have to let us know how it works for you. My favorite rod is a Sage RPL+ so maybe you made a good choice for you.

Frank