The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road
Default I Need Distance

I have 8'6" rods, 9'6" rods and I have 2 10' rods mostly 8# what combonation do I need to cast a full line? I use WF lines and TT. Man I got my arm sore. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Need Distance

The line you use will influence your distance, I've heard the SA Sharkskin line really shoots the line out. I have never used it, but several members here recommend it. Assuming you have good casting form, I would suggest you learn to double haul. Here is a video that might help.

Larry
Old 06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Gear doesn't make long casts.

Good casters make long casts.

Double haul have to you will.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:13 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road

If you're really making casts that long you might want to under line your rod by a weight. A long rod will also be a help. Beyond those things, just work on your cast and get completely intuitive with double hauling. Don't have to think about it.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

YODA is right on..rods, lines, do not matter its the cast itself that works..double haul for sure.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 06-11-2010, 01:38 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Let's say that you have a well timed double haul. What are you fishing for that will demand such a long cast (I'm guessing saltwater or stripers?).

A shooting head system and a 9' 8 weight makes for a distance casting rig (at least for my quiver of rods).

MP
Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 AM

Nope- I,m after sea trout and browns, there is a hole that gradually slopes up to a weed bed, and thats where they stay,20' out off reach, if only I could get that extra few coils of line off my reel, i,de reach them.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 AM

I was reaching a few this morning, It,s like rideing a bike, once you know, you never forget, but when you don,t know, it,s pretty hard, I,ll get there yet.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

GH49, are you useing a shooting basket?
Between a basket, the dblhaul, and a properly matched (and cleaned) line, you should be in there.
Don't know what rod your waving around, but the last time I had a sore arm I was test driving a clients too soft rod. A soft rod can lead to useing more muscle.
A faster rod and a compact casting stroke will throw all of a line and more.
Remember, the force is all around you.
Hope you get to them.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 06-11-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 AM

I made a basket last year, and it works good, but I have,nt been using it lately, should though. I am using a 10' St Croix Legend Ultra, 444 8# WF and a 10' 8/9# XRD 44 Superflex with 9# Wolf TT