The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 AM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road
Default Hope Someone Can Help

I started fly fishing in the late 70's. After a few years I gave up most all interest in fishing and pursued other interests. Last summer I picked up a renewed interest, especially fly fishing and tying. On of my old rods is labled "Match F205". It is an 8' fiberglass and doesn't have a line size label. Presently, I have a weight forward 8wt on it and it casts that well. I've googled what information I have and hit a dead end. If no one else has a clue I'll just continue to use it as my 8wt.

Anyone recognize that brand and could lead me to a site I'd apreciate it.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hope Someone Can Help

The vast majority of fiberglass rods were either 6 or 7 weights.
A high end, name brand rod of 8' would most likely be a 6
A lesser quality rod of 8' is probably a 7.
Quality rods will have approximately the same number of guides as they are feet long (8). Lower end rods will have less.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi.
Is it a 2 piece Rod,are you using a weight forward Line?,then F205, possibly could mean it's Fibreglass,2 piece,5 weight.
Also I'm thinking why it casts well with an 8weight Line is the early Rods were made for Double Tapered Lines.
However if it's not as above my Theory is down the Gurgler.
Brian.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Brian here.

Googled the hell out of every combo I could think of (even did a Lexus-Nexus search) ... and 'nada.' Strongly suspect he's on the mark .. just still a question of who built the rod.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A vintage fiberglass 5wt would be shorter than 8'
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Riptide.
Ive had Fibreglass 5/6 & 7 weights in 8 ft,8ft 6 inches as well as 9ft 6inch one piece,all made by different makers.
I still have a old 9ft in a 7 wt which I've had since the 70s.
Brian
Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all who have replied. This is a two piece fiber glass rod with 6 eyelets. It wasn't high quality when I bought it; I couldn't have afforded it.

I remember using a DT line on it. I was surprised to find that level and DT lines were held in such disrespect when I returned to fly fishing.

Since the rod handles a 8 WF line well, I'll just stay with that.

Again, thanks to all who took time to share their experience.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM

Like everything else as time marches on so does Technology,the new Weight Forward Lines,are far superior to the older double Tapered Lines & are designed for The Modern Rods & it's good they work on your Fibreglass.
They are longer,don't become waterlogged like the Old ones did,need less maintenance & are easier to cast,however I was reading on The Sister UK Forum some time ago where there was a discussion on best Lines for different applications,at the timeThe Grey's Double Tapered Lines were very popular for fishing Dry Flies.
Also lots of people still use them with Split Cane Rods I'm still in the process of chasing up an "Old Hardy's" Split Cane Rod given to a friend by one of my Father's Fishing Mates from years gone by which I will use with a Double Tapered Line,if/when I aquire it??.

I still have Double Tapered Lines,old ones as well as a modern one which I still use on occassions.
Good Luck
Brian