The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 AM

yareelohim is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestion for $200 rod?

Well I am ready to upgrade my fly rod. My wife and I started with the Martin Mountain Brook rod and reel combo in 5/6wt.

What are some good fly rods to upgrade to in the $100-200 range?

I am looking at the new rods Allen Fly Co is about to relase as one of my options. Also "The Fly Shop" in Redding, Ca has some rods for $125.

What is your opinions on those two rods?

Thanks everyone!

Oh yeah, I am looking for a 5-6wt.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestion for $200 rod?

Most modern (and many not-modern) rods in this range are good. You have to look hard to find a stinker, and most have a lifetime warranty. What you need to decide is whether a fast action, or something moderate is the type of rod action you and your wife prefer. Most people seem to gravitate to a rod that is at least moderately fast. St. Croix's Imperial and Sage's Vantage would both be good choices in terms of an action most would like, quality hardware, and lifetime warranty. The Vantage is made in the USA, and the Imperial is made in Mexico. The Redington CT (classic trout) has received really good reviews on this forum, and many others. It's a more moderate action rod, and might be tougher to use in heavy winds, however.

The type of fishing you do (trout or bass, small streams or lakes, dry flies or streamers-- or both), will help to narrow down rod recommendations. St. Croix has extended its lifetime warranty to all of their premium rods built after roughly 2004, whether you're the original owner or you bought it used. That's a pretty good deal. There are lots of St. Croix Legend Ultra, Avid, and Legend Elite rods on ebay and fly fishing forums that sell for much less than retail.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Its really hard to beat Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) rods.

The professional series is a great value and they have some of the BEST customer service/warranty in the business.

You would not be disappointed with a 5wt TFO Pro. I know Allen rods are going to be VERY nice, but realistically it could be a month or two more before you could have one at your door. I am trying to be discouraging as I am an Allen nut, but I am just making sure you know what to expect.

Hope that helps,
-Jason
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrider405 View Post
Its really hard to beat Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) rods.

The professional series is a great value and they have some of the BEST customer service/warranty in the business.

You would not be disappointed with a 5wt TFO Pro. I know Allen rods are going to be VERY nice, but realistically it could be a month or two more before you could have one at your door. I am trying to be discouraging as I am an Allen nut, but I am just making sure you know what to expect.

Hope that helps,
-Jason

Jason, this is no longer the case. I have rods on order and will be ready to ship the 2nd week of July. We finished our testing on the new Nano TI II, Xa, and our first Spey Rod.

I was gone all last week in Texas setting up a shipping location and customer service facility. Evan and I are putting some exciting things in order to keep the growth of the company going.

The feedback that we received on the rods are very promising. I admit I made a rookie mistake on the fist run on Nano rods, but thats past me and I learned a few things.

We will release rod sizes and photos soon in our newsletter. We are also talking to some fly shops to display demo rods so you can wiggle them to see what you think.

Thank you,

Justin
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM

arkman is on a distinguished road

I'd lean towards the TFO rods. In my experience they are really great rods and I've heard the customer service is the best. Thats important to me. I haven't heard of a single person that's had bad experience with TFO.

I can't speak for the weight that you are looking for but I have the TFO Professional 9wt. So far I've been very pleased. I've been casting so much better than my cheaper cabelas rods.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

WOOOOOOO WEEEEEE!

I am glad I'm wrong! That's so exciting!

yareelohim: Defiantly wait for the Allen rods. They are doing some brilliant work up there!

I can't wait to order a couple myself! Sorry for kind of dogging Allen. That was not my intention.

-Jason
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

yareelohim,
I'm not dissing the online retailers, but have you been inside a fly shop (maybe you went to The Fly Shop - Redding)? With the current state of the economy, more shops are putting more emphasis on some quality price point tackle. TFO, Redington, and Ross Worldwide have products that you may want to look at. Try to have the salesguy, who might be the owner of the business, try to sell you onto something. It could be the start of a long relationship.

If you are in an area that doesn't have a decent fly shop, good luck with your search.

Dennis
Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
yareelohim,
I'm not dissing the online retailers, but have you been inside a fly shop (maybe you went to The Fly Shop - Redding)? With the current state of the economy, more shops are putting more emphasis on some quality price point tackle. TFO, Redington, and Ross Worldwide have products that you may want to look at. Try to have the salesguy, who might be the owner of the business, try to sell you onto something. It could be the start of a long relationship.

If you are in an area that doesn't have a decent fly shop, good luck with your search.

Dennis
Dennis,

I agree with you. I want to respect the channel of sales with my rods having retail stores carry them. We are working with several now with a program that makes it very easy for them to carry our rods.

Justin
Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM

yareelohim is on a distinguished road

What is the differs between the TFO Pro and TFO Signature?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM

The TFO Signature is quite a bit slower than the TFO Pro. I believe the Signature is the rod that comes in the TFO complete outfit that Bass Pro and other places sells.

IMO it is worth spending a little more money and get the pro. Its faster, but not crazy fast. I feel like its a great general purpose rod. Again, that is just my opinion.

-Jason