The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 07:49 PM

rbreedi1 is on a distinguished road
Default Temple Fork Outfitters BVK

I was playing around with one of these rods the other day and am considering picking one up in 9' 5 wt for trout on the tailwaters around here. What do you guys think about this rod? It felt really light and seemed well built. Also, I am needing to pick up a new fly line, which would you recommend for this rod? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Temple Fork Outfitters BVK

I got a TFO BVK #6 this season and have developed a high regard for it. Light, smooth and with good power, if also seems well built and handsomer than earlier TFO's. I have cast 3 different floating lines with it and like the RIO Grand best. This is a half-size heavy fly line and, though different in taper design, the SA GPX likely, similarly would be a good match.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I have the BVK 9'5wt but I have only had it out a few times so far. I got it to be a faster action rod that could perform well with everything; and throw some big streamers when needed. I'm not a casting instructor, but I have been fishing for 7 years now and have cast at least 40 different rods. Some of them feel really natural to me and some don't. The BVK does not seem to work with me; especially with dry flies. I am currently fishing a 5wt Sharkskin GPX on it. I just seems like I am fighting it on every cast. Had a hard time getting delicate landings, loading it properly, making shorter casts, and I have had way too many catastrophe casts (the ones where you lasso yourself or drop all of the line in a pile behind you). I havn't made messes like that since my first couple years casting. Maybe I have digressed, or maybe I havn't learned to fish a rod this fast yet. I am seriously considering selling the rod, or lining up to a 6wt line and forgetting about using it for dries. Also, for as light as this rod is it feels awfully cumbersome to me.

Don't take my review exclusively; there are several on the forum who like these rods and have good reviews of them. I think it is a faster action rod and just doesn't fit me well. After the Drake spinners were done last week, I did put a giant Articulated Zoo Couger on one night and the rod seemed at home with that; of course I couldn't see my casts in the dark...but they felt good.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Hi Ausable, Whenever a rod does not feel right, I always try some different lines on it. It is not a matter of which lines I like but rather what mates correctly with a given rod. I got the BVK #6 as a driftboat stick but recently found myself fishing march brown dries to bank feeders with it. The two lines that have worked well with it are the RIO Grand 6.5 weight and the Airflo Ridge Rangefinder #6. Both generate tight loops in close and at distance.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Hi Ausable, Whenever a rod does not feel right, I always try some different lines on it. It is not a matter of which lines I like but rather what mates correctly with a given rod. I got the BVK #6 as a driftboat stick but recently found myself fishing march brown dries to bank feeders with it. The two lines that have worked well with it are the RIO Grand 6.5 weight and the Airflo Ridge Rangefinder #6. Both generate tight loops in close and at distance.
I assmued that the GPX taper would mate fine with a faster action rod. That is what I had heard from others about this rod...use a Rio Grand, or a gpx taper line. I've only got one five weight line right now so Ill try it with a 6 and see what happens. I think I know what part of my problem is...I really like 4 wts, and don't fish 5 wts often enough. I'm really accustomed to casting my 7' and 8' 4wts.