The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Sage Discontinues Z-Axis

Just got an e-mail from a fly shop that Sage has discontinued the Z-Axis. Wonder what they have on tap? Could it be that we have an $800 Sage on the horizon
Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Discontinues Z-Axis

I would not be shocked if it were discontinued. Sage seems to turn over their rod lines every two to five years, which might make some happy. I imagine it frustrates fly shop owners who build continuity with a brand, only to be forced into continuously discounting rods once a new line is produced. The XP becomes the Z-Axis, Launch becomes Vantage, TXL becomes the TLX-F, Xi2 becomes Xi3, the VT2 becomes the VXP. Fly rods cannot be advancing as fast as computers and cell phones.... A new product launch in Sage's premier category would curb the buzz produced by the Hardy Zenith and Winston B3X, while collecting the last bit of market share from the Z-Axis through discounting remaining inventory.

It makes me appreciate rods like the Winston WT, Scott G series, and Thomas and Thomas Paradigm that have been time tested favorites. I hope these rods will be produced into the future, even if by special order only.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm...What a Jolly kettle of fish. I'll bet you a nickel against a box of donuts that the next top of the line Sage won't be cheaper than the last one. It's a little comical to those of us who don't live in Fly-Fishing-$$$-Land. Sage, Simms, patagonia, etc really have quite a few people by the nose ring. Spending the last week in the fly shops up at the AuSable reminded me of this. Everyone has to have $100 pants with UV ratings; $1,200 fishing rigs, $500 rain coats, and of course the $40 hat that says "I wear $500 raincoats and $700 waders". Is it just me or are Sage and Simms the worst offenders?

Generation 5 technology = Generation IV price X 1.25
G4 Guide Waders= G3 Waders X 1.25
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

for those who don't want to pay $700. plus dollars for a quality american rod need to ck. Mystic Fly Rods and yes american made for under $400. and yes i have a 9"3' 4 wt. is a joy to cast and fish.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

My 9'0" Z-Axis is still my "go to" 5 wt. rod. I'll miss that model / great rod!

Pocono
Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
for those who don't want to pay $700. plus dollars for a quality american rod need to ck. Mystic Fly Rods and yes american made for under $400. and yes i have a 9"3' 4 wt. is a joy to cast and fish.
Bill, Are you sure of this? I am impressed by their quality and value, and they seem to be fine people. But besides a few forum posts like this, nothing I've seen on their web site or by any legitimate reviewer suggest they are made in the US. I can't imagine if they were built here they wouldn't promote this. They are a Mi company, but they have an import licensee from Pusan China. While they are developed here and indeed unique product, I believe they are made in the far east.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough

Local shop owner stated the blanks are made in china but assembled here.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I saw a Ford Pinto the other day, still running.
So why would anyone want to own a Ferrari?
Sure I'm a little irked that they change models so often, I'm still smarting from having the XP discontinued. A little notice, and I'd have bought a couple for the future.
If you can actually tell the difference between models, and years, you will be able to feel the advances/changes from model to model.
The good news when they discontinue a model, is you can get one for less.
For many years, I've been using "last years rod". Saving money, and fishing well, is a nice combo.
I get to test drive a lot of rods on water/fish.
In my opinion, you can fish with an alder stick if you just want to eat.
But for pure pleasure of casting, a higher-end rod does please. (Although it doesn't guarantee a good cast.)
I can fish anything I'd like to, but will stick with Sage for a while yet. (Even though warranty cost went to $75.)
Just heard of a bamboo rod selling for $5000. No warranty either.
Now that is out of my range.
We each have a sweet spot for spending/fishing.
Don't worry what others are doing, how many rods/brands they own etc......just go fish.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 06-17-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
Local shop owner stated the blanks are made in china but assembled here.
And blank construction is the most labor intensive part of rod assembly. While granted it doesn't show as much in the final product fit and finish like windings handles or cork, it takes far more time and expensive labor to do right.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Don't any of you guys golf or ski? Same thing, different sticks. milt.