The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Sage announces the One (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/153189-sage-announces-one.html)

silver creek 06-24-2011 11:43 AM

Sage announces the One

Sage One Wins EFTTEX

mcnerney 06-24-2011 11:58 AM

Re: Sage announces the One

Yes, I had heard of the ONE, I think that is the replacement for the z-axis that was recently retired. It will be interesting to get a chance to pick one up and cast it, hard to believe they can improve on the z-axis, we'll just have to wait and see.

Larry

ausablebrown 06-24-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 276234)
Yes, I had heard of the ONE, I think that is the replacement for the z-axis that was recently retired. It will be interesting to get a chance to pick one up and cast it, hard to believe they can improve on the z-axis, we'll just have to wait and see.

Larry

I know how they can improve on it...Bring out a new model so I can afford the Z when it gets discounted 40% off!

BigCliff 06-24-2011 04:07 PM

My guess as to how this came about-

Quote:

Sage CEO- "Ok, we need a new way to sell a $700 rod."

Rod Designer- "I think I can make a rod that casts farther than the TCR now."

Sage CEO- "No good. Nobody could cast that thing. That's why we softened up the TCX, remember?"

Rod guy- "Oh, yeah."

Marketing guy- "What about lighter? I can sell lighter."

Head of service- "Bad idea, they'll break too easy and we'll have to make 3 rods for each one that's paid for."

Sage CEO- "WHOA! That's no good at all!"

Marketing guy- "Ok since light and distance are out, what's left?"

Sage veteran (who's been tirelessly campaigning to bring the LL back)- "What about accuracy?"

CEO and Mktg guy- "YES! PERFECT! ACCURACY!"

CEO- "Can we do that?"

Rod Designer- "Uh, maybe. I guess so."

Mktg guy- "And its gotta look really cool."

Frank Whiton 06-24-2011 05:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

It was just a matter of time before Sage came out with a rod that competes with the Orvis and Hardy light weight rods. This must be it. I like that they didn't go crazy with the price. We might owe that to Hardy's pricing.

Frank

chi flyfisher 06-24-2011 07:06 PM

I'd want to cast one for sure... in a couple of years. I just filled the quiver with some high end rods, including a couple of Sage sticks, at full price. Now I've watched them discontinue the Z. Bound to happen but this discontinuing of high end rods is new to me - as is the purchasing of them. I'll probably never pay full price for a rod again... just wait for them to be discontinued. Probably :D

Cheers,
Mike.