The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM

nick4222 is on a distinguished road
Default Setup for a Beginner

I am new to fly fishing and was wondering if I could solicit some opinions. Is an Echo Carbon 5wt with a Lamson Konic reel a good setup for a beginner, balancing price and pefromance?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Setup for a Beginner

I have not used either of those, but they both have good reputations. I love the Lamson drags and I am wanting to purchase a Echo rod.
Go and cast the rod to make sure you like it, if you can.
Others with hands on experience will be along shortly.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM

nick4222 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I look forward to seeing what some of those folks (hopefully) have to say. The owner of my local fly shop also suggested taking a few casting lessons and then trying the Echo Carbon along with a few others to see what felt best (an offer I am certainly going to take him up on).
Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I would take a casting lesson and test a few rods like the Echo Carbon, St. Croix Imperial, and Winston Passport. All of these rods will have slightly different actions, either faster or slower. Once you learn the proper mechanics of the fly cast, you will naturally cast a certain taper of rod the better based on your casting stroke.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:27 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

What chicagojohn said....

Echo certainly has a good reputation, so if the rod feels good to you and fits your casting stroke, go with it. I've borrowed my buddy's Echo2 spey rod for a steelhead trip and really liked it. And I don't think you can go wrong with Lamson reels, even the lower priced ones.

Now if you need a true expert opinion, just send that rod to me to test for a year or two.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 AM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Setup for a Beginner

Nick,

I'm torn in the area of "beginner" equipment. Some people believe that you will shortly outgrow the stuff and want better stuff. There are those who believe in buying the better equipment initially, foregoing the trouble of upgrading (and spending money along the way).

If I could do it all over again, I would've cast different rods in different prices and determined which ones I liked...as long as I could afford them. I have heard stories of people buying $600 rods after flyfishing less than one year.

If you enjoy flyfishing, and you know you will spend time on the water, I'd purchase equipment that you like...again, consider your budget. I spent lots of money in "upgrading" to better rods, reels, and lines.

On the other hand, there are people who are happy with using $100 rod/reel combos. It boils down to what you like and what you can afford. I myself have used $100 combos and had a blast using them.

Upgrading can be expensive...you may spend $600 in rods to finally get that $600 rod you want. You may spend $300 in reels to get that $300 reel you want.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Both brands have good reputations. I think it is very hard for a beginner to know what to buy. You can tell a beginner to try fly rods but really, how can he tell what will ultimately fit his casting style? He can't IMHO. What will happen in all likely hood is that he will be talked into buying the rod that someone else recommends because they like it. It might be an expensive mistake.

I say buy a reasonalbly priced moderate action rod and a good fly reel and decent line. Don't worry that the rod won't be exactly the rod for you. A good reel can be transfered if you buy another rod. You will likely beat up the line grass casting and getting casting knots in it and so forth. No $100 fly lines. Shoot for about $40.

Then practice, practice and practice. Stick with that rod for about 3 years. Once you know what you really want in a rod, then go out and test the rods and buy the rod that will be with you for a long time.

That's my opinion.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-30-2011, 11:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

as far as the rod, do as others have said and cast a few different ones. im sure the echo rod is a sweet stick, but it never hurts to "test drive" a few more.

the reel- for a beginner set up, the konic is a great choice, awesome drag and great lifetime guarantee. another option would be an allen alpha.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you match the length and weight of the rod for the fish and conditions you plan on fishing.

I recently started fly fishing using a $80 Cabelas outfit (Three Forks 7'6" 3wt, Prestige Plus reel). It included rod, reel, line, backing, and one leader. I caught the first trout on this set up using a 9 year old, USED fly that I had from an old UL spinning rod.

You don't need a pricey, name brand rod/reel or even a perfect cast to catch fish.

A beginner like me doesn't know what I don't know. Most of the casting nuances and "feel" that the more experienced guys talk or write about doesn't mean anything to me, yet. More importantly, my preferences may develop to be far different than theirs. So, I'll figure out the details as I go.

For now, I have a blast being on the water, solving casting issues by trial and error, and catching fish! The fish doesn't know that my rod doesn't say Sage on it.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Setup for a Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post

A beginner like me doesn't know what I don't know. Most of the casting nuances and "feel" that the more experienced guys talk or write about doesn't mean anything to me, yet. More importantly, my preferences may develop to be far different than theirs. So, I'll figure out the details as I go.
People have created flyfishing to be "Zen like", "charismatic", "spiritual", and "magical." People speak of a certain green colored rod that has "soul" (I've heard the same of Harley Davidsons). Some folks develop a euphoria from catching a small trout from a creek 3 or 4 ft wide.

Why did I start flyfishing 13 yrs ago? I became bored with casting spinners, bobbers, and crankbaits and wanted to try a different style of fishing. Yes, flyfishing is simply another means to pursue and catch fish.

I don't believe in "beginner" outfits...I believe in using equipment that works for you. "Beginner" outfits have been associated with "low quality", "poor performing", and "affordable." I've cast my share of these outfits, I have found some really nice lines, rods, and reels along the way. I have met many veteran anglers that prefer to use these "beginner" outfits. I've used some beginner outfits that I've recommended to other flyfishers...and there were a few I regret giving away.

The "experts" recommend a 9ft rod for pond/lake fishing. I hate to remind them that the 7ft and 7'6" rods have accounted for hundreds of bass, bluegills, and crappies I have caught at the lake! I have a 5'8" 4wt that works pretty good on the lake too!

Throughout my flyfishing journey, I have fallen in love with equipment on all price levels.

Flyfishing, IMHO is way overpriced...I can spend $3.50 on a Mepps spinner, and use it throughout the entire year to catch bass and panfish. I can spend $2.00 for a wooly bugger and have it destroyed at the pond in one hour if the bass, crappies, or bluegills are actively feeding.

Again, use what makes you happy, regardless what the so called "experts" say. More expensive gear does not always equate greater satisfaction...a lesson I personally learned!

Cheers,

Robert

Last edited by ncflyboy; 07-11-2011 at 02:17 PM.